Chint breakers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Chint breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to understand the key differences between chint
[ElectriciansForums.net] Chint breakers
breakers and Schneider breakers. I’ve noticed that both brands are available for a project I’m working on, and I’m trying to make an informed decision.

Could anyone provide insights into how these two brands compare in terms of:

1. Quality and Reliability: Are chint breakers generally considered as reliable as Schneider? Any specific experiences would be helpful.
2. Compliance with Standards: Do Shent breakers adhere to international standards (e.g., IEC, CE) as consistently as Schneider?
3. Features and Innovation: How do the features offered by chint compare to those of Schneider? For example, do chint breakers offer similar advanced protection features?
4. Price vs. Performance: Is the lower price of chint breakers justified by their performance, or is it worth paying a premium for Schneider?
5. Long-term Durability and Maintenance: Any experiences with the durability and ease of maintenance for either brand?

References to any tests, certifications, or specific case studies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Schneider have a global user base and international support, a vast range of product types and international availability and are known as a solid, reliable workhorse.

Chint…. Not so much.

I’m looking to understand the key differences between chint breakers and Schneider breakers. I’ve noticed that both brands are available for a project I’m working on, and I’m trying to make an informed decision.
It sounds as if you are conducting research for an academic project or thesis - or for Chint or Schneider - what's the story?
1. Quality and Reliability: Are chint breakers generally considered as reliable as Schneider? Any specific experiences would be helpful.
There are many experienced professional electricians on this forum, and they will have opinions of what is good or bad through their own experience, but in the timescales of their experience, the appearance of Chint as a CU brand in the UK has been relatively recent (eg populated consumer units appearing in the last 7ish years). There have been enthusiasts here recommending Chint boards, but I suspect those with their favorite brands will carry on using the products they know.
2. Compliance with Standards: Do Shent breakers adhere to international standards (e.g., IEC, CE) as consistently as Schneider?
In order to be able to legitimately place their products on the market, both Schneider and Chint have to submit samples to an independent accredited test house to be examined against the relevant national standards they want to comply with (IEC, EN, BS, UL etc), and their samples have to pass all criteria. The factory will also be audited, and have to pass, and will then be subject to periodic surveillance to make sure products are being made correctly to the specifications.
The CE, UL, or UKCA mark, and accredited mark, can be affixed as evidence of that product approval.
So in theory both companies will be adhering to the standards. That's not a contest. When it comes to 'bells and whistles' and ease of installation etc. that may affect users opinion of the product, positively or negatively, but the products should always be compliant. Things like trip times might be better on one than another, and that might be a consideration for some, but I doubt that plays a major part as far as end-users are concerned.
3. Features and Innovation: How do the features offered by chint compare to those of Schneider? For example, do chint breakers offer similar advanced protection features?
I'm not sure how much the average electrician cares about the cleverness of what's inside the breaker, however interesting, as long as it does the job, and meets regulations. I would be interested to hear opinions!
4. Price vs. Performance: Is the lower price of chint breakers justified by their performance, or is it worth paying a premium for Schneider?
This will depend on the electrician's focus - either choosing the brand that gives least trouble, and hence least liability, (which might mean the more expensive one for some, but if the client will pay, that's fine), or they may be very price focussed because of client budget or needing to win the job, so that outweighs any concern over future issues.
Another consideration is local availability, and for spares/ additional components. What can you buy over-the-counter without travelling many miles, or order online with next-day delivery rather than delaying/inconveniencing the customer.

If you search 'Chint' on this forum you might find a little 'feedback'
5. Long-term Durability and Maintenance: Any experiences with the durability and ease of maintenance for either brand?
I suspect you may see positive comments about Hager and Schneider, some enthusiasts for Fusebox, and some UK stalwarts falling a bit out of favour.
References to any tests, certifications, or specific case studies would be greatly appreciated!
You may get further insight from googling.
Schneider has plenty of competition in the UK: Click, Fusebox, Hager, Contactum, Eaton, Wylex, Crabtree, Verso, Live, Merlin Gerin, MK, Lewden, etc.

Good luck with your research. You might be lucky and find figures for lifetime/MTTF/reliability etc within product specifications, or by asking manufacturers.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know exactly what schneider were copying.

They seem to have a complicated history.
Seems to be about Schneider claiming Chint's patent for a high breaking current circuit breaker was invalid, because of prior use in China. But Shneider's evidence was lacking adequate proof, so they lost! It's all very convoluted legal stuff I don't understand, but I guess it's the game playing/ protecting interests that goes on in large companies.
China do seem to have a widely different patent system from Europe, for example!

Found the info below, but not sufficiently interested to delve further!
Title of the Patent for Utility Model: a miniature circuit breaker with high breaking capacity
Patent No.: 97248479.5
International Patent Classification: H01H 71/50, H01H 73/00
Patentee: CHINT Group Corp.

Seems to be about Schneider claiming Chint's patent for a high breaking current circuit breaker was invalid, because of prior use in China. But Shneider's evidence was lacking adequate proof, so they lost! It's all very convoluted legal stuff I don't understand, but I guess it's the game playing/ protecting interests that goes on in large companies.
China do seem to have a widely different patent system from Europe, for example!

Found the info below, but not sufficiently interested to delve further!
Title of the Patent for Utility Model: a miniature circuit breaker with high breaking capacity
Patent No.: 97248479.5
International Patent Classification: H01H 71/50, H01H 73/00
Patentee: CHINT Group Corp.
Tbh I wouldn't read much into the findings of a Chinese court in a domestic v. foreigner dispute!

Weren't chint the brand that showed up about 20 years ago passing off mcbs that were a dead ringer for old merlin gerin mcbs, I remember a wholesaler trying to convince me they were MK items with different print?

Personally circuit protection isn't that expensive relatively speaking, why skimp; after selecting for "quality" I like to fit something as ubiquitous as possible so you know you/the client will be able to get bits for it for years to come.

I fitted a few clipsal units back in the day which were really nice kit (Australian brand) but they suddenly vanished - later I learnt bought out and pulled by schneider - damn annoying and embarrassing when you want an extra MCB! After that it was MK or wylex only, but the quality went so far downhill I've settled on Hagar; sad day when you have to look to the frogs to deliver some decent kit!

Had a panel one time full of Chint equipment, all contactors, indicators, push buttons etc. looked to be exact replicas of the previous generation of Schneider/Telemecanique equipment. They worked ok, but some of the contactors "buzzed" a little.

I used to dislike Chint domestic circuit breakers, always thought they felt a bit cheap and nasty but that said I never heard of any particular problems with their equipment. I worked on systems integration with some MV distribution equipment in Uganda that was Chint and I was very impressed with it and it put them in the category of reputable brands in my view.

Reply to Chint breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net