Closing down my business | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Closing down my business in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've decided to close down my business.

After my apprenticeship, I did about 12 years in the industry, before moving onto pastures new. When I retired from that job, I thought I would try being a sole trader electrician. I gave it a bash for 5 years, but for various reasons, I've decided to call it a day. I have a new job starting in October.

It was an unexpected steep learning curve for me, but not completely wasted time. I joined this forum back in 2011 in preparation, and gained some valuable experience and guidance from members over the years. Sometimes the advice aggrieved me, but the truth hurts!

So a big thank you for your counsel. I shall be sticking around, though :)

A last bit of advice from you in the meantime. I'll have my accountant tidy up those ends, the van will be going off to the knackers yard, I'll keep me tools for the time being. Advertising was minimal, and old clients I can redirect to other sparks. Anything else?

Not sure what to do with my public liability insurance, paid for till June 19, the last work I did was April this year. Should I keep it, or get a refund?

Sorry to hear this Midwest. I enjoy you on this forum.

I have no doubt it was a difficult decision and probably one which has been heavy on your sholders for some time.

I hope in making this decision it has released some pressure somewhat.

All the best in your new role.

I think if I'm honest, I thought being a sole trader wouldn't be that hard. My son has been running his own business for a few years now. He's doing quite well for himself. So I thought I'd give it a bash, plus I didn't want to look back, and wished I had tried it.

It was a lot harder than I thought, especially getting work, together with having worked as an employee for over 40 years, guess it was outside my comfort zone.

Anyhows I gave it a run for 5 years, but ultimately wasn't for me.

Good luck in the job, holiday pay, sickness benefit regular work/hours, paid OT, allowed your 1 hour lunch break can swing it, no worries about van, costs etc etc, if it works then fantastic.

PS, I just wind you up from time to time no malice intended, most of the time ;o))))

I think if I'm honest, I thought being a sole trader wouldn't be that hard. My son has been running his own business for a few years now. He's doing quite well for himself. So I thought I'd give it a bash, plus I didn't want to look back, and wished I had tried it.

It was a lot harder than I thought, especially getting work, together with having worked as an employee for over 40 years, guess it was outside my comfort zone.

Anyhows I gave it a run for 5 years, but ultimately wasn't for me.

Hey, if you get fed up at the old folks home you can always go back to what you were doing. I bet your phone will still be ringing for months with enquiries.

Two years ago I had a black out resulting in an automatic 6 month driving ban. One of the options I explored was selling my business.
I'm self employed, one man band, but still my business was valued at between £35-70,000 so it would bve worht looking at selling it rqt

Two years ago I had a black out resulting in an automatic 6 month driving ban. One of the options I explored was selling my business.
I'm self employed, one man band, but still my business was valued at between £35-70,000 so it would bve worht looking at selling it rqt
Valued at that by whom? And why could they not put an accurate price on it?

As a sole trader as well I don't think it is a business that has much value in being sold - we are effectively often the key asset of the business...

Valued at that by whom? And why could they not put an accurate price on it?

As a sole trader as well I don't think it is a business that has much value in being sold - we are effectively often the key asset of the business...

I agree mate. The bean counters just see turnover and profit-and-loss sheets... the reality is that if we (I.e. sole trader electrician) got hit by a bus or abducted by aliens, the business would cease to exist and be worth nothing.
The client base might be worth something for repeat business, but that depends entirely on if they like the newly appointed electrician or not.

Reply to Closing down my business in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net