Completing Zs box on schedule of test results | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Completing Zs box on schedule of test results in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicebloke

When unable to carry out a Zs test on a lighting circuit (large/heavy chandelier type lighting), then the R1+R2 + Ze measurements are instead used and this is noted, but is it the norm to still write this value in the Zs box on the schedule of test results or just in the notes. I ask because technically a Zs test hasn't been conducted, and the R1+R2 + Ze calculated isn't necessarily going to be the same as an actual Zs test?

When unable to carry out a Zs test on a lighting circuit (large/heavy chandelier type lighting), then the R1+R2 + Ze measurements are instead used and this is noted, but is it the norm to still write this value in the Zs box on the schedule of test results or just in the notes. I ask because technically a Zs test hasn't been conducted, and the R1+R2 + Ze calculated isn't necessarily going to be the same as an actual Zs test?

It has been tested, you have tested the external and internal loop. And added them together.

Maybe not ideal and to everybody's taste, but a test all the same.

To be honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would bother to do such a thing.
Why would anyone want to calculate a value, knowing full well that it is very likely to be inaccurate, then record it as if a test had been conducted?
What is the point, what purpose does it serve?

To be honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would bother to do such a thing.
Why would anyone want to calculate a value, knowing full well that it is very likely to be inaccurate, then record it as if a test had been conducted?
What is the point, what purpose does it serve?
Surely you just have to prove compliance with the permitted maximum values? By calculating it you're giving a worst case scenario, if it complies then all well and good. You're going to meet disconnection times regardless of noting the measured value or the calculated value.

It's not something I tend to do personally but I can see why people do it.

Do you have to prove anything?
Who are you proving to?
How does entering calculated values you know are likely to be inaccurate on a schedule of test results prove anything?
Personally, if there were a reason why I could not conduct a Zs test, I would calculate the result and if the value was such that ADS would not be achieved, I would either then conduct the Zs test or state further investigation is required.
I would not enter the calculated value as a test result and run the risk that someone else might actually conduct the test proving my value to be incorrect.

Why?
Is there a prize for filling all the boxes?
Does it make things better if all the boxes are filled?
What's wrong with leaving the box blank, as the test was not conducted?
What do you do if there's no RCD to test, draw smiley faces so there's something in the boxes?

No need to be a pillock. I was offering a solution for if someone wanted to put a calculated figure in but not leave any confusion for future sparkies. Just a thought.
Daz

Reply to Completing Zs box on schedule of test results in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net