Concerning EICR coding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Concerning EICR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Out of interest, what are your opinions on coding what I call 'technical C2s'. We all know what the regs say, and going off that a C2 is a C2, simple.. but there are definitely times when that's a bit grey. For example...
Exposed basic insulation is a straight C2 going by the letter of the book, but what if that exposed cable is caused by a small section of missing trunking 7 feet up a wall in a plant room where it's *extremely unlikely it'll ever be touched?
Or a DB with several holes in the side exceeding the max british standard finger... But that DB is 10 feet up in a locked room accessible only by trained persons?
Would you still code these as C2? Or C3 with a note explaining your reasoning?
And more to the point, if some idiot fetched some ladders and got a shock after sticking his fingers in the holes on the DB for shits and giggles, would you be liable?

I would still be looking at C2 for the above mentioned faults.
Out of sight, out of mind is not a good way of thinking in my book.
Also, let’s face it, they are cheep and easy fixes.

I give a C3 for exposed basic insulation sometimes, for example in meter cupboards, or badly installed downlights where it's in a ceiling void. IIRC, BPG4 suggests the same coding.

Wouldn't the CU example you mentioned be a C1 normally, e.g. if easily accessible in a dwelling? Live parts accessible?

He said ----. I didn't think forum allowed such profanities as ----. Can we all say ----? It might be like the famous Sex Pistols interview. Mind you, they said ---- and ---- aswell and I'm sure we can't say those words on here can we?

What was the question?

I give a C3 for exposed basic insulation sometimes, for example in meter cupboards, or badly installed downlights where it's in a ceiling void. IIRC, BPG4 suggests the same coding.

Wouldn't the CU example you mentioned be a C1 normally, e.g. if easily accessible in a dwelling? Live parts accessible?
Same.

Or like the 4mm of basic on a shoddy doorbell transformer, what's the real risk of it doing anything, and you've noted it anyway...

I would still be looking at C2 for the above mentioned faults.
Out of sight, out of mind is not a good way of thinking in my book.
Also, let’s face it, they are cheep and easy fixes.
these faults are purely off the top of my head examples, there are probably better ones. I'm more interested to know other 'grey' issues that could potentially be coded either way depending on your point of view. Here's an example from my experience - one electrician I know says emphatically 'no code' for a type AC 30mA RCD main switch. Personally, I'd always put that as a C3 as it doesn't comply with current regs because;

1) if it trips it takes out the entire board (selectivity)
2) the new requirements for an RCD are type A for general use

But you could argue, quite rightly, that a type AC RCD on any circuit may not trip at all if anything downstream to has a DC component, which of course is virtually everything these days.. hence the change in the regs. That would make it potentially dangerous, or C2. but as far as I'm aware, no-one is coding type AC RCDs as C2.. should they be?

It was purely an off the top of my head example, but I'd say - accessible live parts C1 - inaccessible live parts C2 - 10 feet up in a locked room accessible only by trained persons, probably C3.. after all its inaccessible and therefore completely safe unless you have 1) a key to the room and 2) a ladder, plus the only people accessing the room are trained persons who, even if they did have a ladder, wouldn't go sticking things into DBs without the correct precautions.

Reply to Concerning EICR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net