Condensation in outside light. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Condensation in outside light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently fitted 6 outside lights, recessed into a wall. 2 of these have started to get a lot of condensation into them. From the picture you can see it all over the inside of the cover, but there are also droplets on the inside top of the light, and also a small amount of water in the bottom of the unit.

The lights are in walls that get damp. There are no drain holes inside the units.

It does seem like condensation, but I am unsure why only 2 of the 6 are affected.

Possibly one of them may have let some water in, as it is fitted on a slightly curved part of the wall, but it did appear to be sealed when I fitted it.

The customer says they were not expensive lights.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop this very large amount of condensation, or, perhaps you think it is more than that, I.e water getting in?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Condensation in outside light.

It's quite a lot isn't it? I'd say a faulty seal somewhere. Do these units have a gasket that gets compressed by tightening the 2 visible screws? Also did the unit's come pre-flexed, or did you have to terminate into the back of the unit?

It's quite a lot isn't it? I'd say a faulty seal somewhere. Do these units have a gasket that gets compressed by tightening the 2 visible screws? Also did the unit's come pre-flexed, or did you have to terminate into the back of the unit?
They have a black gasket that gets compressed with the screws.
They were not pre-flexed, came with a stuffing gland and I used 1mm H05RR.

I had some do that to me!
Turned out to be a combination of naff stuffing gland seeping in water around the nut securing the gland to the fitting and a rubbish seal on the front.
Manufacturer ended up replacing all of them.
Cough Knightsbridge cough!

I don't know if yours are the same but the ones I had, the lense/diffuser was separate, this had the gasket behind it secured with 4 screws then the front plate.
It leaked in the middle of the fitting where there were no fixings.
The replacement ones were fitted with extra silicone sealant around the gland and gasket.

Is it a retaining wall? If so I'm of the opinion penetrating damp is almost impossible to avoid. Make a channel underneath for runoff and slosh resin/silicon gel etc over the glands.

Personally I convert all my garden lighting at low level to 12v, using mr16, G4, or 12v caravan bulbs, with just a few transformer boxes fitted off the floor. Water will inevitably get in, rodents and gardeners might damage cabling but it won't trip out!

Reply to Condensation in outside light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net