conduit work | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss conduit work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

[ElectriciansForums.net] conduit work

You'll need a few bundles of these

[ElectriciansForums.net] conduit work

With one of these .......................................

And loads of attempts, because I have yet to find a book that will teach you how. It might show you how or what to do, but I have honestly yet to find a wall that is straight, level or even at right angles to each other that makes sense of a book

never got the hang of getting the length from the bend, so always made it longer than necessary, offered up to wall/trunking then cut and re-threaded.

Someone on this forum posted these PDF files a while ago on how to bend steel conduit.

Ive attached them.

Cheers

Attachments

• Galv Guide P1.pdf
    748.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Galv guide P2.pdf
    572.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Galv Guide P3.pdf
    865.3 KB · Views: 139
Get hold of a bending vice Hilmore ect Get a bundle of tubing Watch YouTube vidios PRACCTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE also bear in mind Some people just CANT bend conduit Like ME Im crap at it absolute Bollix so I am

best person i ever seen with steel conduit was my dad he could tube to or around anything,
when i was a lad we were doing a boilerhouse we had to tube out of the trunking down to the floor,about a metre across, then 6" set up on to plinth then another metre then right angle upto the isolator. he took the measurements wrote em down then took 1 lenght of conduit and proceeded to bend with no cuts and threadb it ,while i fixed saddles,once finished he gave it to me and said fit that!
to my amazement i put in place tightend the bushes and saddles and that was it magic!!!!!!!

Sadly a lot of these skills are now dying off. Too easy to buy pre-made bends and angles an just screw them all together, a run comprising solely of bends looks a hell of a lot more professional.

as said just practice when i was an apprentice i was hanging off the machine couldnt even pull it down,every spark i know has his own way of doing it,ive seen some who done some impossible stuff,im ok at it but theres some masters out there who you have to marvel at..

Last edited by a moderator:
best person i ever seen with steel conduit was my dad he could tube to or around anything,
when i was a lad we were doing a boilerhouse we had to tube out of the trunking down to the floor,about a metre across, then 6" set up on to plinth then another metre then right angle upto the isolator. he took the measurements wrote em down then took 1 lenght of conduit and proceeded to bend with no cuts and threadb it ,while i fixed saddles,once finished he gave it to me and said fit that!
to my amazement i put in place tightend the bushes and saddles and that was it magic!!!!!!!

Old school skilled trades man was an apprentice to one for a few years love em can't learn them skills on a 6 week course

Last edited by a moderator:
An old boy showed me how to make a sledge out of 20mm Galv.outstanding bit of work.could have done wi a couple of boxes to get the wires in tho.

One of the best ways to learn how to bend conduit and work with metal containment systems is to be on projects where this is the main means of distribution of the electrical installation. Working with those where bending conduit and fabricating trunking and traywork is second nature.

You need these skilled tradesmen to not only learn how to work with metal containment, but it's limitations of what you can and cant do as far as final wiring of these systems. It's no good having a neat pristine conduit run, that is impossible to wire!! ...And i've seen that a few times. ...lol!!

Most of the practical installation work, during my training was metal containment systems, that and heavy cable installations. I can still put my hand to it now, and often offer to help a tradesman on site having problems with a particular set he needs to get in. I think once learnt, it's something you don't forget, even if you do cock-up the first attempt!! ..lol!!

One of the best ways to learn how to bend conduit and work with metal containment systems is to be on projects where this is the main means of distribution of the electrical installation. Working with those where bending conduit and fabricating trunking and traywork is second nature.

You need these skilled tradesmen to not only learn how to work with metal containment, but it's limitations of what you can and cant do as far as final wiring of these systems. It's no good having a neat pristine conduit run, that is impossible to wire!! ...And i've seen that a few times. ...lol!!

Most of the practical installation work, during my training was metal containment systems, that and heavy cable installations. I can still put my hand to it now, and often offer to help a tradesman on site having problems with a particular set he needs to get in. I think once learnt, it's something you don't forget, even if you do cock-up the first attempt!! ..lol!!

Can always tell a sparks ingenuity by the hiding places he can find for those cock-ups.

Its using a American hand /foot bender I think on U Tube, not our UK bender unless I am wrong and they sell them in this country.
As far as I know, the Americans use different gauge conduit to us, it must be much smaller to be able to use a hand bender...unless all American sparks are bodybuilders too. Try doing 25mm with your hands!.

I have a bender but due to the cost to the customer, I mainly use pvc or armoured.

An old boy showed me how to make a sledge out of 20mm Galv.outstanding bit of work.could have done wi a couple of boxes to get the wires in tho.

I remember a foreman commenting how the amount of conduit withdrawn from stores went up as Christmas approached.

theres a nack to it, and there is people who do it everyday and then theres people who dont. im pulling alarm cables , door access etc at mo and when the work is done and the other boys go smoke there ****e i go bend conduit with sparks from different firm , made myself a cable reel on thursday, used 25mm pipe and il tell ya i ws pulling bender and my foot off the ground just to do 90's .. then few 80s then 60s and was a raver blurp,

Reply to conduit work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net