Connection issue | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Connection issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Elderly DIY guy replacing a Manrose extractor fan.House wiring is copper cored red/black/green and yellow and was apparently OK for old extractor but modern replacement needs connection to terminals marked ;-

Neutral supply
Switched live supply
Permanent live supply

My question is which goes with which? There is no place to connect an earth wire.

Appreciate your help.

Welcome to the forum mate.

A 'switched live supply' us usually needed for something time a timer.
If you do not need a timer and just want the fan to come on when switched on, then do the following:
Wire black cable to 'Neutral'
Wire red wire to 'Permanent live supply' and put a link wire between 'Permanent live supply' and 'Switched live supply'
Funny that there is no place for the earth cable. Even if its a terminal not connected to anything.

What model of fan do you have? Can you post a link?

Any wiring should be done with the power switched off...

Also not sure if the above is classed as a 'step-by-step guide' as this is not allowed on the forum. I'm sure one of the mods will tell me so, if it is.

As already mentioned, your new fan is almost certainly a fan with the timed option - and your existing wiring doesn't have the additional permanent live required.

Either you can take the fan back and get a non timed version (which is often cheaper), or put the link wire in as mentioned above by @Spoon . The fan will only work when the light is on then, which is presumably as your current install is.

A lot of fans don't have a terminal for the earth these days unfortunately (they don't need one usually as they are plastic). Trim any bare wire left at the end of the earth and bend it or locate it so that it can't touch any of the other wires when the cover is back on.

Thanks Spoon and Dartlec for the info and advice.The extractor is a Manrose CF100T.I have come up with a better suggestion---I`ll get an electrician to do the job properly and stick to painting and decorating.
All the best and stay safe.

Probably the best idea if you're not certain of what to do. Wise choice I think.

Reply to Connection issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net