Consumer unit relocation | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Consumer unit relocation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this has probably been covered, but I'm struggling to find a recent and specific answer.

Old 1930's bungalow. Really old CU tucked in the corner of the old converted garage, slightly behind a wall, so barely accessible now. Definitely needs moving, but want to move it toward the main building as we're doing a complete rewire inside.
Don't want to pay the DNO £2.5k they've quoted to move the incoming, so want to move just the board away from the meter and CO fuse.

I've pictured an isolator that our supplier fitted when we moved in.
Now, am I right in thinking this isn't enough to allow me to move the board. I need to add a fused isolator after this one?
Or, is this isolator enough, and I can run separate cables from here, to where I want the new board to be? Or even connect it to an SWA cable to run it round.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but the chap that fitted the isolator gave me a different one, so wanted to make sure before I make a horlicks of it and do something stupid

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer unit relocation

How far is the board move ?
Would the run from meter to new Cu be through walls etc ?

If the tails are going to be over 2mtrs (most dnos allow 3mtrs) then the best way is a \MFCU and SWA.

Last edited:

Reply to Consumer unit relocation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net