Consumer Unit selection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer Unit selection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace this unit with a new CU that will fit in the old metal cupboard. Any advice on a suitable make that would fit snugly in this space?

Thanks [ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit selection

Difficult to see from the pictures but it looks as if steel conduits enter the top of the enclosure, if so surely then a replacement metal clad board would be a preferred choice in this case?

I see what your saying. I hadn't considered extending the conduits down or joining them. I was going to fit a plastic unit flush if it would fit. Was this the only reason you recommend a metal clad unit? These with the RCBO's look a good choice otherwise.

Need to see a close up of the top of the board, however it may be that the conduits connect straight into the DB and not the enclosure, I have seen 25 mm2 holes drilled in enclosures and 20mm2 conduits go through them into a 20mm2 knockout many times. If the Metal clad DB is tight to the top of the enclosure you may have no choice but to fit a metal clad. It may look like the conduits go into the top of the enclosure, but that may not be the case.

No need to extend anything, there are 17th edition skeleton modules that fit directly into that enclosure, in fact the unit shown is a retro fitted skeleton unit, as they were all once fitted with Wylex or MEM 3036 units...

Crabtree, Wylex, and i believe Hager can all supply a suitable direct fitting skeleton board!!

I've seen some real abominations where some have tried to fit metal CU's inside these old Mantel cabinets. The central area of these cabinets are for DNO cut-outs and meter installation, not retrofitted metal CU's....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I need to research a skelton board I think. There's a lot of these mantel units in my area. I've seen a few plastic CU's fit snugly in them though and look neat enough.

- - - Updated - - -

So with these skeltons you just retrofit a suitable model and then cut fit a cover to slide over the top?

Yeah I need to research a skelton board I think. There's a lot of these mantel units in my area. I've seen a few plastic CU's fit snugly in them though and look neat enough.

- - - Updated - - -

So with these skeltons you just retrofit a suitable model and then cut fit a cover to slide over the top?

They skeletons come complete with a face plate to suit the skeleton board you bought.

As stated, the central area is designated for DNO cut-out, tails and meter. NOT for locating a CU.

It wouldn't be a problem fitting a board inside that enclosure, the first problem for the OP is repairing the damage to the left hand side of it where it is bent, however that should be doable, I would have liked to see a picture of the whole enclosure, it may be worth taking it off throwing it in the river and installing a board neatly onto the conduits with the meter and tails on show like virtually every other house in the UK LOL

Who sell the skeleton units? I know Crabtree do or did manufacture them.

Ripped one out Saturday and due to a mental unit width of just 310mm, had to fit a wylex 8 way board with rcd main switch. Not ideal but not much I could do.

It wouldn't be a problem fitting a board inside that enclosure, the first problem for the OP is repairing the damage to the left hand side of it where it is bent, however that should be doable, I would have liked to see a picture of the whole enclosure, it may be worth taking it off throwing it in the river and installing a board neatly onto the conduits with the meter and tails on show like virtually every other house in the UK LOL

The DNO (or rather the old electricity board) in Essex took a dim view of mounting a normal CU enclosure in those old council Mantel cabinets, to the point of requiring them to be removed. You had two choices basically, installing a normal CU directly above (externally) the mantel cabinet or install a retro skeleton board.

That damaged bottom plate can be totally removed as the skeleton units come with an insulated base plate similar to that shown in the OP's photo.

The DNO (or rather the old electricity board) in Essex took a dim view of mounting a normal CU enclosure in those old council Mantel cabinets, to the point of requiring them to be removed. You had two choices basically, installing a normal CU directly above (externally) the mantel cabinet or install a retro skeleton board.

Why exactly would a DNO object and require a normal CU to be removed? And is (was?) that a common stance, or just one particular area?

While I agree a skeleton board might be the best option, if a normal CU is installed well clear of the incoming supply cable, fuse and meter (which are normally near the bottom), why should they object? The top part of the cupboard was designed for the distribution board, just it might now be inside a metal (or plastic) enclosure.

Why exactly would a DNO object and require a normal CU to be removed? And is (was?) that a common stance, or just one particular area?

While I agree a skeleton board might be the best option, if a normal CU is installed well clear of the incoming supply cable, fuse and meter (which are normally near the bottom), why should they object? The top part of the cupboard was designed for the distribution board, just it might now be inside a metal (or plastic) enclosure.

I can only go by experience of the local stand where i used to live in the UK. It was always reserved for the DNO's use, i guess the same as are the modern external meter cabinets!! As i say i've known them to require a retro fitted full CU mounted within the mantel cabinet to be removed and located outside, normally directly above the cabinet....

Personally i can't see the point of not using the made for purpose skeleton boards they are just so easy to replace the old original Wylex/MEM 3036 skeletons.... As i remember the tails and earthing/bonding conductors from the meter/MET to the skeleton board were routed via a built in trunking at the side of the cabinet

The central area is mainly taken up by the DNO's fire proof meter board, that i would imagine would need cutting down thus disturbing the DNO's installation. They did allow a tails isolator to be fitted on their boarding. ...What goes on nowadays i have no idea!! ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only go by experience of the local stand where i used to live in the UK. It was always reserved for the DNO's use, i guess the same as are the modern external meter cabinets!! As i say i've known them to require a retro fitted full CU mounted within the mantel cabinet to be removed and located outside, normally directly above the cabinet....

Personally i can't see the point of not using the made for purpose skeleton boards they are just so easy to replace the old original Wylex/MEM 3036 skeletons.... As i remember the tails and earthing/bonding conductors from the meter/MET to the skeleton board were routed via a built in trunking at the side of the cabinet

The central area is mainly taken up by the DNO's fire proof meter board, that i would imagine would need cutting down thus disturbing the DNO's installation. They did allow a tails isolator to be fitted on their boarding. ...What goes on nowadays i have no idea!! ...lol!!

Fitted a plastic board last week in one of the mantel units, just screwed it into the wooden board.

Reply to Consumer Unit selection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net