Consumer Unit selection | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer Unit selection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace this unit with a new CU that will fit in the old metal cupboard. Any advice on a suitable make that would fit snugly in this space?

Thanks [ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit selection

and check out the other one he has put up...in another thread in here about dis-boards...

something about an RCD mainswitch to feed all 8 ways.....as `needs must`.....lol..

Place is in desperate need of a rewire, still in VIR, family of a good mate so it's a cheap favour tbh. Not my normal mode of work in all honesty.

so...it IR`d ok then..that VIR?..i wouldn`t be surprised if it did...

maybe some of it needed a litle TLC at the ends....but it can surprise you ...

theres a couple of flats however...well its a large victorian house that has been turned into 2 flats....VIR throughout...and i have had a good look at it and it is shot....

told him they need a rewire...the boards went on....certainly after 91....not an RCD in sight....

One circuit is a problem and I've been fiddling about for over 9 hours so far finding various faults, the latest one from where the kitchen fitters went through one of the ring legs (buried unprotected, 20mm from the surface). MCB is continually going on that, not RCD. Most tested, surprisingly, at 4-5Mohm.

She is my mate's mother in law, 70-80, and has no intention of getting the place rewired, he wanted me to put a board in with rcd protection though, and he's done a lot of cheap tiling and plumbing jobs for me so couldn't really refuse.

One circuit is a problem and I've been fiddling about for over 9 hours so far finding various faults, the latest one from where the kitchen fitters went through one of the ring legs (buried unprotected, 20mm from the surface). MCB is continually going on that, not RCD. Most tested, surprisingly, at 4-5Mohm.

She is my mate's mother in law, 70-80, and has no intention of getting the place rewired, he wanted me to put a board in with rcd protection though, and he's done a lot of cheap tiling and plumbing jobs for me so couldn't really refuse.
have you checked that cable to see if theres a CPC present in it?

Cpc is there mate, was originally a permanent trip on the rcd, but now it's just the mcb going. It's fine while I'm there, then I get a phone call a few hours later to find its gone. The faults there are odd and seem to come and go which isn't helping things. Nor is the fairly that it's in Crawley and I'm on the edge of SW London!

Not as far as I know, but it's not always easy getting information out of people, especially the elderly. Last time I had a fault with the mcb going this way, it was a downstairs lighting cable trapped between a heating pipe and the upstairs floor boards. All laminate flooring upstairs though so I would hope it's not something similar!

has kev kitchen caught a cable with a screw?...and it moves slightly when someone leans on one of the units...or worktop?...

Already found one screw through a cable (wall unit feeding socket which dishwasher uses but that's isolated, well one of the cables is), the worktop is a very good point though because it's going quite often when people are in the kitchen.

Just one of those hard situations where I keep leaving with it working, and it then goes again.

Already found one screw through a cable (wall unit feeding socket which dishwasher uses but that's isolated, well one of the cables is), the worktop is a very good point though because it's going quite often when people are in the kitchen.

Just one of those hard situations where I keep leaving with it working, and it then goes again.
OK...
well theres your first clue then...

so...now we start to narrow it down....
if it were me i would be having a lean & tug on them units...and the worktop...
have a good tramp about on the floor as well...

Not as far as I know, but it's not always easy getting information out of people, especially the elderly. Last time I had a fault with the mcb going this way, it was a downstairs lighting cable trapped between a heating pipe and the upstairs floor boards. All laminate flooring upstairs though so I would hope it's not something similar!
so it aint just kev then is it...

seems like auld wetpants has put in an appearance as well...

OK...
well theres your first clue then...

so...now we start to narrow it down....
if it were me i would be having a lean & tug on them units...and the worktop...
have a good tramp about on the floor as well...

The kitchen and the immersion heater cupboard above are the two areas I'm concentrating on. That's where the faults seem to keep appearing. I'll no doubt find a couple more next time I search, hopefully one of those will be the final one.

Reply to Consumer Unit selection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net