Consumer unit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

suhel_a

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been living in my new house for about a year. I checked inside my consumer unit (fuse box) and took a photo. I am not sure if everything looks okay, especially the busbar. The circuit breakers seem a bit misaligned. Could someone with more electrical knowledge take a look and tell me if everything is safe?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer unit

[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer unit

Hi,

I have been living in my new house for about a year. I checked inside my consumer unit (fuse box) and took a photo. I am not sure if everything looks okay, especially the busbar. The circuit breakers seem a bit misaligned. Could someone with more electrical knowledge take a look and tell me if everything is safe?

View attachment 118465

View attachment 118466
Could do with tidying up, difficult to say if something is safe from a picture.

The only problem I can see is someone has taken the front cover off 😁

I wouldn’t even say this is untidy… about the normal standard really.

If anything, there appears to be a badly terminated armoured cable coming in the bottom.
The black core of that, I think, is terminated into the earth bar at the far end… it should be identified as an earth core with green/yellow tape or sleeving.
The grey of the same cable, I presume, has been wrapped in black tape, because I can’t see it.
The brown is the 20A at the far end?

MK brand is known to have a “lean” where the breakers don’t sit straight.

there is 2 exposed pins of the busbar at the far end, which I hope have corresponding blanks fitted into the cover when it is on.

Now, unless there is an isolator on the incoming tails which is switched off, you shouldn’t be taking the cover off… it’s exposing live parts.

Is there an issue with the installation that prompted you to remove the cover?

The only problem I can see is someone has taken the front cover off 😁

I wouldn’t even say this is untidy… about the normal standard really.

If anything, there appears to be a badly terminated armoured cable coming in the bottom.
The black core of that, I think, is terminated into the earth bar at the far end… it should be identified as an earth core with green/yellow tape or sleeving.
The grey of the same cable, I presume, has been wrapped in black tape, because I can’t see it.
The brown is the 20A at the far end?

MK brand is known to have a “lean” where the breakers don’t sit straight.

there is 2 exposed pins of the busbar at the far end, which I hope have corresponding blanks fitted into the cover when it is on.

Now, unless there is an isolator on the incoming tails which is switched off, you shouldn’t be taking the cover off… it’s exposing live parts.

Is there an issue with the installation that prompted you to remove the cover?
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I have just had an isolation switch installed and was intrigued to see how my consumer unit it is terminated without the isolation switch I would have never opened the cover.

I thought it was a bit messy but as long as it’s safe I am okay with that.

Just a few observations that caught my attention.

1. When the cover is on, the main switch has a gap on the left side about 1cm. Looks like it needs to be shifted to the left a bit.

2. The circuit breakers are not aligned and seems thy all need to be shifted.

3. I am no expert which is why I would like some advice but is the busbar terminated correctly. When looking through numerous installs online most installs have the busbar on the main switch but mine does not.

It would be a peace of mind for me if someone can assure me all is safe.

Many thanks

Reply to Consumer unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net