Consumer Unit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark555

Hi

My home was built by Wilcon 18 years ago and am looking to get the electrics updated.

On checking the consumer unit I find [ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit[ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit
I did turn the power of from the outside.

The left side is for the cooker and sockets 1 and 2, the right side is for the lights up and down plus the smoke alarms (they each have a battery that sounds a repeating beep if the power goes off) The 2 MCB's covering the sockets/rings, the left one is for the kitchen/utility/bed3/4/landing/garage the right one is for lounge/dinning room/hall/bed1/2 so one covers the left side of the house the other covers the right hand side of the house.

I am looking to have a split load twin RCCB consumer unit fitted. Can this be done and conform to 17th edition, if so how and or will I need to re-wire so sockets/rings so that downstairs sockets are covered by 1 RCCB and upstairs sockets are covered by the second RCCB.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Consumer Unit
    DSCF5213.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 178
Murdoch has given you the easiest answer, but it is perfectly possible to install a twin RCD CU in compliance with the 17th Edition. However whether it would be safe to do so would need a local electrician to test the installation to make sure.
Separation of circuits is just that up down or left right is immaterial really so long as there is a decent spread.

get 4 rcbos and do as mike says, and move one of your socket circuits on to its own rcbo, much less work and cost than a decent dual rcd board AND easier if your doing it yourself.
HOWEVER, you should consult a sparky as YOU will be liable for PART P

id be concerned about your bonding, as first glance says youve got inadequate main protective earthing, but i could be wrong

as rampant says. bung in some RCBOs, but buy hager so as to preserve manufacturer. as for the earthing. looks to me like a 16mm main earthing conductor and 10mm bonding.

Hi

My home was built by Wilcon 18 years ago and am looking to get the electrics updated.

On checking the consumer unit I find View attachment 19545View attachment 19547
I did turn the power of from the outside.

The left side is for the cooker and sockets 1 and 2, the right side is for the lights up and down plus the smoke alarms (they each have a battery that sounds a repeating beep if the power goes off) The 2 MCB's covering the sockets/rings, the left one is for the kitchen/utility/bed3/4/landing/garage the right one is for lounge/dinning room/hall/bed1/2 so one covers the left side of the house the other covers the right hand side of the house.

I am looking to have a split load twin RCCB consumer unit fitted. Can this be done and conform to 17th edition, if so how and or will I need to re-wire so sockets/rings so that downstairs sockets are covered by 1 RCCB and upstairs sockets are covered by the second RCCB.

Thanks in advance

If you are not having any problems with nuisance tripping I would leave as is. If you are having issues then changing boards layout and configuration won't likely help.

If it is safety you are concerned about, commission a full Elec Installation Condition Report (EICR). This would be more beneficial and informative for you. Typical house would cost in the region of £150.

I would expect the installation to be in decent nick. Though I would check tightness of all socket and switch terminals as new-build drive-by sparks are often pressured with hefty workloads which seem to affect their wrist-twisting ability!!

another building firm that has dropped all circuits down the skin of the wall between brick and block - love it! my dads house is only 12yrs old and same as this (minus the red jonnys lol) I lifted cover off board and discovered a massive hammer and nicker had been used to blow out a hole in breeze size of a house brick and all cables dropped down outside skin. like mentioned - liable for part p and changing protective device changes characteristics of circuits and will need to be tested. possible lack of bonding noted too however hard to tell from pic. maybe its an unbroken loop on gas and water. just a thought but no clearer enough to tell. time to make a call me thinks

Reply to Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net