continuity of final ring circuit conductors | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss continuity of final ring circuit conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to conduct my first initial verification and i have spent all weekend reviewing how to do the recommended tests. However I have a question regarding final ring circuit test.

1- is this only for a ring main circuit with outgoing line and incoming line?
2- if the answer is "yes" what happens if the ciruit is a spur from the distribution board?

cheers

DD368

first, you measure the end to end on the RFC, r1,r2,rN. you would expect r1 and rN to be identical, and r2 to be 1.67 x r1 ( 2.5mm L/N, 1.5mm cpc.) then you x connect L and E at the CU and measure R1+R2. ( expect this to be (r1+r2)/4. this reading should be the same at every socket, except if you've got a spur, where the reading will be higher.

You will only do a ring final continuity tests on a ring final so that will be your tests for that.

If a spur is taken from the CU off of that RF then you will connect that the spur cable to say LINE 1 CPC 2 when you do the R1+R2 results and then take your reading around the ring as normal. If you so wish you could also again connect up when you do the LINE 2 CPC 1 side but thats being overly enthusiastic. After doing both sides you obviously note the highest value on your certificates.

does anyone do step 2?
After end to end resistance on L N CPC, cross connecting one outgoing line conductor to the returning neutral conductor and vice versa expected results (r1+rn)/4 and then doing step 3 cross connecting outgoing line returning cpc and vice versa expected results (r1+r2)/4.

mate you have to do step 2 and 3 or you hvant completd the test correctly just carrying out end to end and using the calculated as your reading isnt correct and if there are spurs wont be accurate the
r1+rN/4 gives you the calculated for comparison with the measured at step 2 and then repeat for step 3 and record the highest line to cpc as your measured R1 +R2

YES you MUST do both, If you don't you would not find a live earth reverse!!

I agree that you are required to conduct the test for a ring final circuit, but the dead polarity test, R1 + R2, won't detect a line/cpc reversal either. Inspection is more important than testing.

Isn't that why you do an R1+Rn as well on a ring final?

Like I said it is required for testing continuity of ring final circuit conductors. The point I am making is that it is not a standard test for radial circuits so inspection is also important for polarity.

Tests are very much SECONDARY to inspection.

Reply to continuity of final ring circuit conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net