Control of outdoor lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Control of outdoor lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking at a job wiring some outdoor lighting and not too well up on the newer control methods

Is there a quinetic receiver which fits into a back box for basic on/off control of lighting?

And also is there an alternative to the traditional photocell > timer control of lighting without getting into wifi ?

Looking at a job wiring some outdoor lighting and not too well up on the newer control methods

Is there a quinetic receiver which fits into a back box for basic on/off control of lighting?

And also is there an alternative to the traditional photocell > timer control of lighting without getting into wifi ?
The possibilities with Quinetic now are almost endless.

About half way down the page, various modules for most popular grid switches.
I have used the click ones before and they have been spot on!

Agree with @nicebutdim if you just want really basic control.

Maybe an astro timer on place of the PIR - basically a timer that switches at sunrise and sunset according to GPS coordinates .
Thanks that's roughly what I had in mind

Probably looking for switch-on at dusk and off at midnight or thereabouts .

Will the astro do that ?

Similar to the old school photocell> timer combo

Thanks i had looked at the steinel briefly
Will that do photocell on - timer off type control ?

Edit; I see the off time is variable. The Steinel might be the best option

Thanks for the assistance

Last edited:
There are quite a few astro timer options, but yes they'll switch dusk til dawn. You programme the correct GPS coordinates (should be included with instructions) and they automatically adjust as days shorten and lengthen.

What the range like on the quinetic ?

Will the switch operate indoors with the receiver outside ?

Block or brick wall construction

What the range like on the quinetic ?

Will the switch operate indoors with the receiver outside ?

Block or brick wall construction
Think it's 100m outside 30m inside.
It will work fine through a wall as long as it's not over 500mm thick solid stone. I had one once, old Cottage with thick old walls, wouldn't work unless the switch was in the nook for the door.
I have fitted them in all sorts of places and never had an issue with them apart from the above situation, and even then managed a work round by moving the switch.

Reply to Control of outdoor lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net