Cooker wiring | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cooker wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all. I need to lengthen the cooker socket cable in order to move the socket. I have crimped the 2.5 cable I had to lengthen for the lights Ive fitted in another area of the kitchen but Im worried looking at the thickness of this cable that feeds to the cooker socket....I have some larger crimper connectors but Im unsure if this is safe to do. Can somebody please advise me how to join this cable in order to lengthen it. Are the crimper connectors ok to use ? or is there another way ?
Thank you
Daniel

Last edited:
Lol...I doubt that but thank you.
Ive just thought ..I havent actually used crimp connectors anywhere yet ...but need to in a min...can I use just those normal blue crimp connectors used in cars or do I need proper things ? If so where do I get them ...and what do I need ...I need to join the 2.5 cable and now this thick cooker cable....please advise.
Thank you

if it's 6mm, the the yellow crimps will fit. with a blue (2.5mm) for the cpc.

Thank you...Im just worried these are supposed to be a certain type of crimp connector...or are they the same sort of thing Id use in my car ? Surely they need to be able to handle a certain load / amps ??? <----- really do NOT know.
Please advise

I picked up some black crimp connectors as I didnt think the yellow ones looked big enough to allow enough of the wire inside it to get a good connection?
Can I get something from BnQ now before it shuts ...Just obviously want it to be safe.
Thank you

Thank you...Im just worried these are supposed to be a certain type of crimp connector...or are they the same sort of thing Id use in my car ? Surely they need to be able to handle a certain load / amps ??? <----- really do NOT know.
Please advise

As telectrix has said yellow pre-insulated crimps for the live and neutral, blue for the cpc, asuming it's 6.0mm T+E. Use a proper crimp tool, stagger the joints then cover over the lot with heatshrink, extend the heatshrink over the outer sheath of the two cables.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I cant heatshrink anything as I dont have that option...will a good bit of tape be ok?
and Im sorry to ask again..but are these crimps just the usual kind or a specific household electrical crimp connector ?

Well Its close to the main box so Im guessing it goes straight to that and Im not happy messing with that....?
I dont have the proper crimp tool either...Im certainly not going to do the job unless I can do what you all suggest...so this is already a problem...Will have to see about buying a crimping tool but Im guessing they are not cheap....?
Im going to take a look now at replacing the entire length of cable and running a new piece....not happy going near that box I must say though.
Im gonna have a look now.
Thank you

Well Its close to the main box so Im guessing it goes straight to that and Im not happy messing with that....?
I dont have the proper crimp tool either...Im certainly not going to do the job unless I can do what you all suggest...so this is already a problem...Will have to see about buying a crimping tool but Im guessing they are not cheap....?
Im going to take a look now at replacing the entire length of cable and running a new piece....not happy going near that box I must say though.
Im gonna have a look now.
Thank you

Get an electrician in, going by what your saying your not confident in what your doing and it'll only end up costing you to buy the kit he'll / she'll already have.

Good Idea mate....Im off to halfords now for heat shrink tubing...BnQ for Crimp tool....shed for my heat gun...Im guessing thats gonna be hot enough ?

more likely the fire that you cause will be hot enough. as i said, get a professional in.

I'm sorry supernude but after reading this thread this has disaster written all over it. You do not come across as competent to carry this work out. Get a pro in will be safer and properly cheaper in the long run.

From what you have said so far I am certain that you are not competant to be carry out this work, and I would think twice about crimping a cooker cable to extend it.

You may think that you are saving money now, but it may come back to haunt you if you get it wrong, the joint overheats and the cable catches fire!

Please get a professional electrician to look at this for you.

Reply to Cooker wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net