Coolnomix | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Coolnomix in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As the title, has anyone had anything to do with these products yet? I am visiting a butchers this week to install a monitor to show a before and after installation of the device. Would be interested to hear if anyone has installed any of these?

Not yet, though is it any more special than any other latest inverter controlled aircon units? - continuously variable output instead of the older stepped output methodology

I suppose it becomes more viable on the older type of units? The price is reasonable so if after the weeks monitoring without the unit shows much higher usage than the week with. It should be a no brainer?
Time will tell...
So you have any reservations about these products?

No specific reservations, so long as the refrigeration pumps can cope with it. Some older ones may not like the much more frequent cycling, others may say that it is putting less stress on the pump.

The principles are the the same as those behind the original purposes of thermal stores - create a big heat buffer to reduce the cycling of boilers. Also the same principles behind electronic thermostats vs bimetal thermostats , modern boilers with electronic thermostats can fire up / down much more frequently without losing efficiency, - the electronic thermostats perhaps have a +-0.5°C range as opposed to the bimetal ones that have a +-2°C range between on and off.

I would be surprised though any pf the systems produced in the last couple of years would benefit from it. - I may be wrong though :)

Last edited:
@Kevincoolnomix - I'm open minded so here's your chance to pitch :)

What's so special about it?
What problems does it solve?
What specific market does it address?
Does it help with the R22 issue?
Thx

Serves me right for entering the discussion at 3 AM while having a cup of tea!

It was your bit on thermostats that caught my eye - spot on. Delighted to cover any specific points if you look at the website - Welcome to COOLNOMIX? and ?The Art of Cool?? - or via email ([email protected]). Without crossing the advertising line it is difficult to answer all of your questions (recognising you are open-minded) but here goes with a few thoughts.

COOLNOMIX is designed to be an intelligent thermostat and the objective is to save 30% energy in air conditioning and refrigeration systems by exploiting shortcomings in existing designs. Longer term the objective is to have COOLNOMIX positioned as the 'Intel inside' of the whole air conditioning and refrigeration industry. Temperature ranges covered are from 0°C to 25°C. COOLNOMIX does not do subzero refrigeration because of the need for energy intensive de-icing (hence few savings).

R22 and R12 refrigeration repalcements mean higher pressures with more work for compressors making energy optimisation even more important.

Love your industry by the way (photovoltaics). You might be interested to know that it was largely 'born' at the old CEGB Marchwood facility as an experiment on a piece Dexion frame that eventually became BP Solar. Inverters are really great in your industry but it depends what you do with them. Inverters are however not so good in air conditioning and refrigeration but that is another story.

Kevin

interesting - dost thou have verified test data to prove those levels of savings are possible?

not our field, however we're increasingly working with very high energy consumers and scratching our heads at their half hourly meter data to work out where they're using the power (eg 80kW load at night all night vs 90-100kW peak daytime load when the MD says it's only operating day time shifts... something ain't right on that one).

I'd suspect your kit would have quicker paybacks than PV for high air con / fridge users, and we can often barely touch the sides of their demand with the PV we can fit on the roofs.

synergy I think is the word I'm looking for.

Yes indeed - just writing up a telecom aircon saving of 24.6% in an equipment room based on a visual power meter output left in the customers premises.
As air conditioning and refrigeration has been around for over 100 years we hit the 'implausible' barrier all the time. Of course datalogging always has suspicion that on downloading into a computer we have somehow adjusted the results.
One great, inexpensive tool which might be of help to you is from WattsClever - specifically their model EW4006 (see Watts Clever | 1st for Energy Saving & Energy Monitoring Products). This is a fully visual power meter with a wireless current clamp that updates its power consumption every hour on the hour. Being battery based it is (largely) immune to tampering. No data logging but just taking a photo tells the story of where power is being used. We recomend this to distribution partners around the world (as opposed to a more expensive offering htat is less attractive.
Hope this helps.

we already do similar with current cost, but using their web bridge the dat acan be streamed live to a portal for remote access and downloads.

Reply to Coolnomix in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net