Correct Conduit Assistance | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Correct Conduit Assistance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MaceUK

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, i have built a log cabin and now routing cabling. I want to do this on the outside as it looks better. Can i ask if i can safely use the conduit from toolstation, here... 25mm Heavy Duty Round PVC Conduit - https://www.toolstation.com/25mm-heavy-duty-round-pvc-conduit/p66251

It has to be signed off by an electrician and from my research must be IP54 atleast. Is this correct? The conduit linked above has no IP rating, only the flex conduit does. Which is fine if i have to use that. The junction boxes don't seem to have a IP rating so now trying to understand what to use.

Is it a case of purchasing the rubber gaskets and this then makes it IP54 or above?

Apologies for the daft question and appreciated any help.

Products that have an IP rating are certified as a single assembled unit. Conduit and accessories will be put together by whoever (you in this case). So the resulting resistance to any external influence will be down to the quality of your expertise!

I'm guessing that this work will require notification(?). Certainly it will need to be certified.
Please don't tell us that you plan to do the work and then try and find some unsuspecting electrician to come and "sign it off".
you need to get your electrcian in BEFORE YOU START.

Reactions: MDJ
No unsuspecting Electrician, he is aware. My friend is a sparky but hasnt kept up with his certification to sign things off. However his colleague is an electrician and happy to come and do it.
Im just trying to do as much work as possible for him. ie routing cables etc so he can then come in and get on.

I can of course pester him with my Q but thought i wouldn't need to by asking the Q on a forum. Happy to research myself etc

Basically, PVC cables are waterproof. The place you need no water -in conduits- is where there are cable junctions.
Also, if you run your conduit outside, then any water that gets into the conduit will run to the lowest point, and that may be the hole through and into your cabin.

Apologies so going back to my original Q, i can use that conduit but have to ensure the connections to junction boxes are sealed in some way? ie using gaskets and maybe sealant on the actual joins?

Hi, i have built a log cabin and now routing cabling. I want to do this on the outside as it looks better.
It will look a pigs ear and after 1 winter and 1 summer will be buckled and twisted and be all over the place lol

Hi, i have built a log cabin and now routing cabling. I want to do this on the outside as it looks better. Can i ask if i can safely use the conduit from toolstation, here... 25mm Heavy Duty Round PVC Conduit - https://www.toolstation.com/25mm-heavy-duty-round-pvc-conduit/p66251

It has to be signed off by an electrician and from my research must be IP54 atleast. Is this correct? The conduit linked above has no IP rating, only the flex conduit does. Which is fine if i have to use that. The junction boxes don't seem to have a IP rating so now trying to understand what to use.

Is it a case of purchasing the rubber gaskets and this then makes it IP54 or above?

Apologies for the daft question and appreciated any help.
Do you mean like this :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmE0lx2c5M

Internal wiring is definitely going to give more longevity.

Reply to Correct Conduit Assistance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net