Csa | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Csa

Discuss Csa in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

you are adding the cables together not adding the two radiuses together to make a bigger single cable though are you!

think about it.
You cant gain cross sectional area it would be like adding one football pitch to another football pitch and then saying that it was twice as wide and twice as long, therefore being the size of four football pitches :eek:

No stretchboy, if you add one football pitch to another football pitch you get twice the playing surface.

Just add the csa together, 6mm + 4mm = 10mm. (twice the surface)

So if you go in to the whole saler and ask for some 6mm T+E what would you expect to get?
The csa of the phase and nuturals would be 6mm2 not 113.112,
We always refer to the cables as CSA not diemeter
Take some 25mm2 tails the diameter is not 25mm across is it!
Can we now agree please that the guy was talking about a 6mm2 and a 4mm2 and the effictive CSA of these two conductors are 10mm2

Regards

AJ

He said 6mm CONDUCTOR and 4mm CONDUCTOR not cable, a conductor does not include the insulation, cos that would defeat the object.

The difference in opinion is you are assuming it to be 6mm and 4mm cable including the insulation, which then yes it would be 10mm.

However his question was a 6mm conductor and a 4mm conductor.....NOT CABLE.

If you go into the wholesaler and ask for 6mm and 4mm T&E then you are talking about the the CSA of the cable, The conductor size is the same as the wire diameter and in a 6mm cable it's 2.764 and in a 4mm cable it's 2.257. If he has said cables instead of conductors, then I would agree with you it's 10mm.

So the CSA of a 6mm CONDUCTOR (wire excluding the insulation) is 28.27 and the CSA of a 4mm CONDUCTOR (wire excluding the insulation) is 12.57

Regards
Mark:D

The csa of the conduct of 6mm cable is 6mm.

If you ask for 6mm cable in the wholesaler, that's what you get. Be it 6mm t&e, singles, swa, pyro or whatever, the csa is 6mm.

Last edited:
I understand that!

The wire diameter (Conductor) of a cable with a CSA of 6mm is 2.764. but what he asked for was the csa of the cable if the wire diameter (Conductor) was 6mm

I'd love to see a 6mm conductor go into a 6mm cable.

The OP asked for the CSA of a 6mm conductor and a 4mm conductor.

Last edited:
But surley you can see he means cable no?

Yes in the real world, It is in black and white, and the fact that he has stated 6mm and not 6mm^2 makes me think diameter.

That wouldn't hold up well when talking to the examiner after an exam, "I assumed you meant cable no." when the question clearly stated conductor.

Anyway enough said!

Last edited:
A 6mm cable has a conductor csa of 6mm squared it has nothing to do with the size of anything else only the csa of the copper of each conductor. cross section refers to the effect of cutting something across its length at 90 degrees and the area is area of the conductor only in mm square. It has nothing to do with the insulation as that has no part in the current carrying capacity at all

Ok I get what you're saying and I now agree a 6mm cable has a csa of 6mm squared, but read the OP again and he refers to the conductors as 6mm and 4mm, and i'm sorry but that tells me diameters because he doesn't say it's squared. mm refers to length( or diameter), mm squared refers to area!!

So if you look at my original calculations you will notice I have taken a conductor with a diameter of 6mm and a conductor with a diameter of 4mm.

I only worked from what was in front of me!

I am now confusing myself, don't even know what the discussion is about anymore!:eek:

I think you're talking about the 6mm and 4mm as the CSA, I am talking about the conductors being 6mm and 4mm in diameter.

Last edited:
Aha :D ...........it just goes to show how true it is that mistakes are normally made in exams where people assume there is more to the question than there really is. 6mm & 4mm are recognisable cable sizes and i'm sure if they were to ask for something different they would make it really clear. Chances are the squared was just omitted in the rush to post a new question.:)

True True.... but in an exam question they probably would have said mm squared if that's what they meant! If I got that question as it was in the OP, I would still answer it the same way, because like I said mm refers to length(diameter) and mm squared refers to area.

Anyway I'm glad this is sorted, it was doing my head in.:D

[ElectriciansForums.net] Csa
Is there any maths teachers out to finally sort this please.Thanks:eek:

Is there any maths teachers out to finally sort this please.Thanks:eek:

Hi Mac

I think it is sorted and where the confusion came, is that the OP said 6mm and 4mm conductors, now to me millimeters refer to length (diameter). but a few people took it as the csa. I guess they are right but the question should have stated 6mm2 and 4mm2.

Regards
Mark

Hi Mac

I think it is sorted and where the confusion came, is that the OP said 6mm and 4mm conductors, now to me millimeters refer to length (diameter). but a few people took it as the csa. I guess they are right but the question should have stated 6mm2 and 4mm2.

Regards
Mark
Know what you mean mate.Weekend now have that well deserved beer:D:D:D:D

hi all i'm having the blondest of blonde days to day can anyone point me in the direction of how to work out the following :

"two conductors of 6mm and 4mm are connected in parallel, thier effective CSA will be" ?

I'm strugging to define my A**S from a hole in the ground so any pointers will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

hi yall yep i should have put in down as 6mm2 4mm2 or even said something like 6mm squared and 4mm squared what a complete **** i've been thanks to to all concerned and i promise i will be more specific when asking for help ..thanks again and have a great weekend everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi yall yep i should have put in down as 6mm2 4mm2 or even said something like 6mm squared and 4mm squared what a complete **** i've been thanks to to all concerned and i promise i will be more specific when asking for help ..thanks again and have a great weekend everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thread nearly started World War 3 mate.Have a great weekend yourself

Reply to Csa in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net