CU change only one lighting circuit ??? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss CU change only one lighting circuit ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there

need a little advice when you change a C.U that currently has only one lighting circuit covering the whole property( upstairs and down) this circuit would need to be split into 2 seperate circuits before beeing connected to the new CU is my thinking correct re reg 314??

Don’t try to put words in my mouth.

It’s up to your conscience.

I'm not, you typed it.

I only feel that with RCDs / RCBOs and then MCBs being far more sensative than the old wired fuse cu the customer WILL get the lighting/sockets tripping more than they have experienced before, and it's all down to the new cu (yes the new cu is safer and no one is saying it's not). I can't see how explaining this to them and suggesting a lighting split is ripping them off / being dishonest in anyway. At the end of the day if they don't want it then it's not done.

I'm not, you typed it.

I only feel that with RCDs / RCBOs and then MCBs being far more sensative than the old wired fuse cu the customer WILL get the lighting/sockets tripping more than they have experienced before, and it's all down to the new cu (yes the new cu is safer and no one is saying it's not). I can't see how explaining this to them and suggesting a lighting split is ripping them off / being dishonest in anyway. At the end of the day if they don't want it then it's not done.

I updated my CU from rewirable fuses to a split load with RCDs. My house has only one lighting circuit and I have never had a nuisance trip. However, I do feel much better in the knowledge that my family is much better protected, and this far outweighs the possibility that one day I might have a nuisance trip. Let's just say I don't lay awake at night worrying about that!

I'm not, you typed it.

So why do you feel obliged to insist there should be two circuits?

Please explain in simple terms that a total thicko like me or Mrs. Scrote can understand.

I don't insist on it at all, I do feel however that it is better option and if it isn't why is it used for a new install ?

It is a better option, I agree, on new builds or rewires, not just from the 'safety / convenience' point of view, but also from the point of view of loading in this day and age. I think the main point is, going back to the OP, there is no need to split an existing lighting circuit that is working fine, just because you are changing the CU!

It is a better option, I agree, on new builds or rewires, not just from the 'safety / convenience' point of view, but also from the point of view of loading in this day and age.

Exactly how much loading do you expect from 6W Leds??.....oh, let me think.......

FFS - YES! you split lighting circuits whenever sensible and certainly on a new build, but we do not have to go ripping the floorboards up in the 35 million other homes (or whatever it is) in this country everytime we change a CU.

When the sun goes down, it gets dark. If that is too much like a danger to you then move to another galaxy.

Exactly how much loading do you expect from 6W Leds??.....oh, let me think.......

FFS - YES! you split lighting circuits whenever sensible and certainly on a new build, but we do not have to go ripping the floorboards up in the 35 million other homes (or whatever it is) in this country everytime we change a CU.

When the sun goes down, it gets dark. If that is too much like a danger to you then move to another galaxy.

Thanks for agreeing with me! As for the loading....you are of course right, with LEDs and energy savers, lighting circuits could be run off a 1amp MCB, but we can't take for granted that the punter isn't gonna load up those downlighters with 50watt halogens can we. Maybe in a few years when people have no choice but to buy energy savers, I might change the way I design lighting circuits, but for now I'll stick to the way I've always done it. Thanks! :cool3:

Lighting on separate circuits. Brilliant in theory. But if it's dark, I'm usually tucked up in bed. The MCB for the upstairs lights goes, there's no way of switching the downstairs lights on from upstairs, so you'll be in the dark going downstairs anyway.Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
'''''Originally Posted by Tony [ElectriciansForums.net] CU change only one lighting circuit ???
Do a proper job then. Two way switching can work the other way, upstairs to downstairs.'''''

''''And/or landing light on downstairs cct, hall light on upstairs cct.

Unless you live in the country on a moonless night, there's always enough ambient light (or light pollution) to see at night. '''''

---------------------------------------------

So a proper job is a split lighting circuit ???????

Enough eh?
Lets all calm down!
I'm sorry if I got anyones backs up over this, but I don't insist on a split lighting circuit I just advise that it'd be the better option which at the end of the day it is.

At the end of the day a forum is for discussing different situations/scenarios, things can get a little out of hand at times but it's the nature of the beast eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep telling you guys.... A little shelf at the top and bottom of the stairs with a nice Petzl headtorch on each one. If its dark and you are using the stairs, don your torch. That way, if any MCB's trip, you are prepared and fully safe ;)

I keep telling you guys.... A little shelf at the top and bottom of the stairs with a nice Petzl headtorch on each one. If its dark and you are using the stairs, don your torch. That way, if any MCB's trip, you are prepared and fully safe ;)

Easier just to eat more carrots mate.

If you can't split the lighting circuits for whatever reason then you can't. Instead of emergency lighting etc I just run a separate lighting circuit on the other side of the board supplying one light and a switch under the stairs (if that's where the CU is!!).

Then if the lights go the customer can see what they are resetting.

Sometimes it's just not practical to start smashing someone's house to bits just to satisfy an ambiguous reg.

I don't get calls stating the MCB/RCD/RCBO has tripped because it's very rare if you test the circuits properly.

If convenient i do install an EM by the CU.

In fact, a year or so ago, i put a new CU in a little old ladies house and install 2 EMs down the corridor and in the cupboard where the CU was.

Worked a treat.

If convenient i do install an EM by the CU.

In fact, a year or so ago, i put a new CU in a little old ladies house and install 2 EMs down the corridor and in the cupboard where the CU was.

Worked a treat.

see my earlier post on this! I put LED non-maintained emergencies over the principal exit stairs/well/hallway in new builds and customers are very easily convinced by the value of doing so. I think it's the little green charging led that gives them a sense of security.

see my earlier post on this! I put LED non-maintained emergencies over the principal exit stairs/well/hallway in new builds and customers are very easily convinced by the value of doing so. I think it's the little green charging led that gives them a sense of security.

Tried this in my own house but after a night on the tiles i just saw little green men! Lol

At times I wish that"the little old lady who might fall fall down the stairs",actually gets it over and done with
We can then stop mentioning the poor dear in these threads, she must be worried sick about those stairs

Seriously, change the CU, inspect & test it, issue the certs & get paid. It really is as easy as that.

You are not required to split any circuits or install any emergency lights or anything else for that matter. Recommend it by all means but, if they refuse, just change the CU, end of.

Lighting on separate circuits. Brilliant in theory. But if it's dark, I'm usually tucked up in bed. The MCB for the upstairs lights goes, there's no way of switching the downstairs lights on from upstairs, so you'll be in the dark going downstairs anyway.Just a thought

Thats why IF you do have lighting split you put the upstairs landing light on the downstairs circuit that way if upstairs lighting trips you can use landing light to see down the stairs if downstairs lighting trips you can use a bedroom or bathroom light to give sufficient lighting to see down the stairs. I agree with Mr.Ian that a split system is better but it is only a suggestion,and you can tell customer the pros and cons of splitting lighting and let them decide if they want to split it or not.

There is no harm in advising them about splitting the lighting.

Reply to CU change only one lighting circuit ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net