Danger notice. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Danger notice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I was called to a customer's today who'd had a spark in last week who left her with a danger notice (she wanted me to quote for the remedial work). The notice said that the danger was a 16th edition consumer unit which needed upgrading (nothing wrong with it, just 16th ed instead of 17th) and not all of the circuits (i.e. the lighting circuits) RCD protected.

As far as I know the regs aren't retrospective, so as long as the installation complied with the 16th ed at the time there's no danger requiring a formal danger notice. Have I got this wrong?

Thanks.

RCDs on ALL the circuits can with other criteria allow supplementary bonding to be omitted altogether.

After proving that it does not require supplementary bonding as it already effectively is, or that it doesn't require it. However that doesn't mean that if all circuits aren't RCD protected that it can still be omitted. I think that is ignoring the reason for the change from the 16th Edition to the 17th Edition. The 17th does not permit the omission of supplementary bonding where all circuits of the location are not RCD protected.

Personally I would rather rely on supplementary bonding than RCDs, but that's a separate issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Stated that very same wonderment many times on here!! lol!! Perhaps we were all so much tougher, or thicker skinned in those days, ...than those of the modern, ''I want it all, ...and i want it Now'' era!!

LOL. And they don't mention the failure rate of RCDs either!

Reply to Danger notice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
I went to look at a job like this a few years ago. My customer had a rental house, where there was an upstairs bedroom that had a newly built stud...
    • Informative
Replies
Views
In my opinion replacing the consumer unit and waiting to see which RCBO trips is not a good fault finding technique. If the lighting circuit...
Replies
Views
davesparks
D
  • Question
BS3871 type 3's have a similar shaped operating curve to BS60898 type C's. Any fault that will meet the disconnection time of 5s (for 63A...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your comments, advice and suggestions. The following is probably pretty boring for most, and is simply a summary of how the job...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Think all electricians will/have received a belt in their time. Doesn't matter how many time you read something like this, and are told to L-N N-E...
    • Informative
    • Thanks
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks