dishwasher trips rcd | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss dishwasher trips rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When the dish washer is switched on the rcd trips after 5 mins could it be the heating element broken down in the dishwsher hence going to earth ?? any clues any one:)

heating elements on cookers/toaster/washer dryers etc are all Hygroscopy (have the abilty to attract moisture from the surrounding environment. This get worse the longer they are stood without been used. This causes nuisance tripping. Earth leakage tester is the easiest way to check.

heating elements on cookers/toaster/washer dryers etc are all Hygroscopy (have the abilty to attract moisture from the surrounding environment. This get worse the longer they are stood without been used. This causes nuisance tripping. Earth leakage tester is the easiest way to check.

this is way off thread
but hygroscopy/hygoscopic i had never heard of this till i did a p i r on a 10 year old installation and all the outside light circs were low ins res
they were wired in 6491b (lsf singles) and 10yrs ago these were quite new technology the pipes had got some water in and the cables had sucked it up
thus going down
all the circs were re wired thought i was going mad when looking for the faults

When the dish washer is switched on the rcd trips after 5 mins could it be the heating element broken down in the dishwsher hence going to earth ?? any clues any one:)
Before opening the dishwasher up see if you have any user instructions as these usually tell you the cycle info of the dishwasher, if your dishwasher has a cold rinse first then it does (as mentioned by others) point to the pump or heating elements but if it fills the water first and heats it up its more likely to be the pump as you say it takes five mins before it trips its just a matter of running it a few times to see if you can pinpoint the cycle stage, better still if your dishwasher has a cold rinse only option on it
you can narrow the fault down.

Once seen a dishwasher fault like this and the problem was the seals around the unit let through moisture to the circuit boards causing the rcd to go.Two new dishwahers did the same as well eventually traced to a dodgy batch. Difficult fault to find though but probably the element or pump on its way out.

crack the dishwasher opem and disconnect the heating element, then power it up. See if it trips. If not its the heating element. Come across this lots while working for hotpoint.

hi, ive got a slightly different problem... ring on rcbo, after using the extractor hood about 10 min...everything ok. when i switch the extractor hood off rcbo trips. same thing with the cooker customer said (own mcb)- rcbo trips. i have checked all wire, all connections, nothing seems to be wrong. Any clue? thanks

Most dishwashers have a sealed tray underneath so that if a leak develops a float switch is supposed to operate and shut down.Sometimes there is enough water to make everything wet but not operate the float switch.Once had one tripping and the wash pump was immersed in water.Worth a look underneath if you can get access,some are almost impossible to get into.

I've just had the exact same problem yesterday with an industrial (35a) washing machine.

Disconnected elements and did IR tests across all 3.

Dead short on one, connected others back up and got it running and didn't trip rcd. Then reconnected faulty element just to be sure and the started machine and it tripped.

Only thing I'm stuck on is where to get one of these types of elements from. I have no make or model of the washer.

Reply to dishwasher trips rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net