Do I need an extractor fan in this bathroom? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Do I need an extractor fan in this bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all...

I have been asked if I need to fit an extractor fan in a small bathroom which has a window, which opens widely (cutomer would rather not have one if possible). It currently just has a toilet in it and a shower is about to be fitted.

I have read many of the threads on this subject but there seems to be a lot of different advice.

1. It seems it has to meet Part F and have a continuous extraction rate of 8L/S and intermittant of 15L/S, how would I judge if the window is acceptable?

2. Also if a new build or converting an existing room into a bathroom you would HAVE to have one, this room has a toilet and sink in it and nothing else so perhaps it is already classed as a bathroom??

Its just the 2 points above on I'm a bit stuck with??

Any advice greatly accepted :smiley2:

Last edited:
That's the trouble with the nanny state. We get told when to blow steam out, how much insulation we must have, and how energy efficient our lighting must be...while all the time, the rich and powerful drive petrol-guzzling cars, get flown to conferences on private jets, and light up their buildings like christmas trees. Aint freedom great....

I have the same problem at the moment, currently rewiring a old house , the customer did not say they wanted a extract fan in the bathroom, so I didn't price for one and have installed an ip 65 bathroom fitting, when I had a nic inspection last year I had the same thing and the inspector didn't pull me on it, but after reading some off the other comments on here I'm presuming that if you are refurbing you should include one ? Building control are not involved with this job but is it still a regulation to include one ? I know it's good practise to put one in and I normally do but if they have said they don't want one then I'm not going to tell them they need one as it is existing and not new build

Hi, just been reading all comments.
2 questions - one comments above says if a toilet has a window and no shower then a the window is enough and no fan is needed.
What if the toilet was located within the house , no outside walls thus no window...? Of course, most would want extract but what do regs say.?

Also I have a house to rewire - it has a bathroom with outside wall / window ect. and a toilet with window. No fans anywhere. Do I only recommend a fan for the bathroom. However is it compulsory.

Thirdly - If a customer doesn't want any fans, is the sign here to agree thing acceptable?

What you have to think about is poo smells, no one wants them and no one likes them. If there's a risk of poo smells permeating into the area outside the bog, stick an extract fan in. Your client may not thank you for it but if you didn't install one they'd be slagging you off.

Reply to Do I need an extractor fan in this bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net