Currently reading:
Dodgy PME?

Discuss Dodgy PME? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me. Came across an installation that doesn't appear to have any means of earthing at the intake
20240617_131219.jpg
. Some work has been done to run power to a garden workshop and the earth to this has just been terminated in with the neutral AFTER the meter.....is this allowed?? It doesn't feel right to me but can anyone quote a reg to back this up?? Thanks for the help.

I don't know what the criteria is....I've made about 8 requests in my years here and only had one refused....never could find out why!
There are certain areas where the network / local ground conditions are not suitable for PME / TNCS connections I remember talking to an ENWL jointer a few years back that in certain areas of the North West they are not allowed to put PME / TNCS connections in because the ground is very sandy and drains easily so they cannot get a reliable earth at the network joints to support PME and if they do they are at risk of being fired

There are certain areas where the network / local ground conditions are not suitable for PME / TNCS connections I remember talking to an ENWL jointer a few years back that in certain areas of the North West they are not allowed to put PME / TNCS connections in because the ground is very sandy and drains easily so they cannot get a reliable earth at the network joints to support PME and if they do they are at risk of being fired
Ah that makes sense. And ironically I've just had a refusal back from Northern Power Grid saying they can't provide a PME connection to this property 😄. Better look in to that earth rod........

Ah that makes sense. And ironically I've just had a refusal back from Northern Power Grid saying they can't provide a PME connection to this property 😄. Better look in to that earth rod........
Not just a rod, but something to deal with the Wylex board!

At the least you could add a delay RCD up front so at least you can achieve some disconnection, but really it is a case for a new CU to have some selectivity to keep the lights on if a socket faults, etc.

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me. Came across an installation that doesn't appear to have any means of earthing at the intakeView attachment 116962 Some work has been done to run power to a garden workshop and the earth to this has just been terminated in with the neutral AFTER the meter.....is this allowed?? It doesn't feel right to me but can anyone quote a reg to back this up?? Thanks for the help.
It is illegal under ESQCR.

Round our way we have some areas which use very old cabling originally put in when the network was DC, the joints can't withstand the high fault currentsyou get with pme.

I had a very similar job to the picture in the op. Three cottages built for the gasometer staff, no 1 was tt, no 2 homemade pme and no 3 pme from the cutout with a SWEB laminate stating pme. I was in number 2 and had poor efli so called the DNO who attended very quickly and referred this to a network planner who said I must tt it. When I showed him the laminate in no 3 he agreed that it was their issue and the 3 cottages needed to be resupplied. Some weeks later I was asked to be in attendance as the contractors had done the excavations and they were going to bring in the new supplies. The old school jointer allowed me to watch as he opened up the lead encapsulated joint, disconnected the old feeds and then used one of the new (idiot proof!) joints for the replacement supplies, the whole time he was giving me a comentary on what he was doing and explained why the old joints were not suitable for the pme fault currents. I found it fascinating and was impressed to watch a skilled jointer undertake his task

The old school jointer allowed me to watch as he opened up the lead encapsulated joint, disconnected the old feeds and then used one of the new (idiot proof!) joints for the replacement supplies, the whole time he was giving me a comentary on what he was doing and explained why the old joints were not suitable for the pme fault currents. I found it fascinating and was impressed to watch a skilled jointer undertake his task
Reminds me of one where I got the DNO in to swap a L - N fused metalclad head in a church got talking to the 2 guys doing it the guy doing most of the work having got part way turned to me and said it sounds like you know what your doing do you want to finsh it off and we'll talk you through it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Dodgy PME? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net