Dodgy shower installation | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dodgy shower installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am not an electrician myself but I am after some advice regarding an installation that was recently carried out at my elderly mothers house.

She has recently had a shower installed where there was one many years ago, the pipe work was still usable but no one could find where the old (dead) wiring ran to.

The installer has run a new cable on the surface to the new shower unit and has manually cut the casing to allow entry into the top, the job is far from neat!

My other concerns are about the close proximity of the shower and some existing electrics that were installed in the time after this area was last used as a shower (it has been a cupboard for 12 years).

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on all of this while I decide what should be done about it all.

Thanks in advance.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy shower installation

I am lead to believe that the guy is a qualified electrician

OP do you know the guys name?
Is he member of a scheme, like NICEIC....?
How long ago was this work done?
Do you have a receipt for the money payed or any paper work? (Besides the cert, which you don't think your mum got)

fluid dynamics is always like an app. running in the background on the forum. it's quite simple really. you tilt the glass, the level falls, you refill till it's class ( sung to the tune of Brain Damage, by Floyd).

View attachment 41026

Funnily enough I was practising some of that type of fluid dynamics on Saturday night, out seeing a Metallica tribute band. They were excellent. :)

Who is applying for the poa for you then if you are loosing marbles? it happened to my mother sadly, only in her fifties but from cancer and all the medication, we had to get poa to handle her affairs. it can save a lot of anguish later on if you get it,
Sorry to hear about Mum, you are right though. Wifey and I have mirror PoA and Wills now. My understanding of Sod's Law means we'll both go on the same day so it'll be wasted effort, or we'll live in good health forever perhaps.

Ah Wilko, you have the bases covered! If you die together, all your wishes will be ok...but if one of you has a will and the other doesn't...the law will favour the situation where there is inheritance, rather than intestacy...
in Scots law, where two die in circumstances where it is impossible to tell who died first, it is presumed that the elder died before the younger...unless the younger had a will favouring the elder...oh, this is getting complicated...and that presumption is ignored where the two who die together are husband and wife, in which case it is presumed that neither survived the other...whew!
Get a Will!
Get a POA!
Ignore my legal advice...it's maybe outdated...like me!

"Pirate - I can't help but wonder whether the Chancer described was from a certain 'travelling community' - of course I could be completely wrong."
Dave OCD, you are absolutely correct...his somewhat battered white van had no tax or insurance, unsurprisingly.

Reply to Dodgy shower installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net