Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! | Page 304 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Arms
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

few pictures from my recent jobs

Plumber didnt check the other side of the wall before drilling through(had a lucky escape though) and a recent CU change that leaves alot to be desired

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!
    IMG_0093.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 110
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!
    IMG_0094.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 122
    IMG_4987.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 116
Can't believe he did that. He must not have even looked at the other side of the wall before drilling. Or a big misjudgement!
lol He said his apprentice measured it! He must have realised something was wrong by the depth surely! he actually asked me if i could move it all so he could still put his overflow pipe there, cheek!

lol He said his apprentice measured it! He must have realised something was wrong by the depth surely! he actually asked me if i could move it all so he could still put his overflow pipe there, cheek!
I was drilling through the other day and measured extremely carefully to avoid a gate post and a gas pipe. The pilot hole went fine and it came out exactly where I wanted. Then I went up a size and felt the two skins, but then a bit of air and then something 'strange'. I stopped when it was clear this wasn't brick and and went to look.
The builders lad had opened the gate! But the brick I'd put there to keep it closed was now blocking the frame so the gate couldn't close and the drill was in the process of taking a nice little gouge out of the gate. Luckily this wasn't very noticeable as the gate was rotten beyond hope anyway.

there's a picture somewhere on the internet of a drill coming through a wall, through the back of a wardrobe, through a guitar case withing the wardrobe and into the actual guitar which was in the case at the time.

or was that a dream?

An ex colleague of mine drilled through a wall, straight into a hot water cylinder!
Got himself in hot water !

But more seriously, can any of us truly say we've never had a drilling mishap ? I certainly have some I'm not admitting to - beyond "they happened". Luckily never did anything expensive.

I keep a short bit of cable on my drill box which was caught as I drilled through a wall… just to remind me of what can happen.

It was a redundant cable, buried in plaster and not in a prescribed zone…. So no idea it was there…. But my SDS made a good twisted mess out of it.

Had to take over a job from someone else the other day, didn't want to but the client gives us tonnes of work and this was his own house. The other spark is no longer on the scene and I've already been to one of his jobs that had an earth fault so he just disconnected the cpc's out of the circuit to get over it.

So my first port of call was the consumer unit - BG dual RCD, 2 circuits connected down ring and up ring, sockets 2nd fixed and live and some lights 2nd fixed but not powered yet. First test was see if they were rings, neither were. After a bit of investigating, found this in the utility.

Thats why that circuits not a ring then, live ends. Onto the upstairs sockets and quickly found this.

That was after my temp fix, was the same as the utility before I touched it. 3rd cable was a spur to a socket on the floor below that wasn't working.

I also found this that was live. Not touched anything, that's how I came across it.

So apart from the various death traps the place also looked like this.

not unique to this job but why do so many sparks have to cut and patch so much plaster work after its all been done, apparently he forgot to fit loads of stuff that the client had asked for.

Would like to see how this copper pipe is glanded to the 20A FCU any solid earth continuity?

Attachments

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 10.55.44 1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 95
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 10.55.44.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 96
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 10.55.45 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 91
Could be double insulated cable inside, if so, do you think there is a requirement for the pipe to be bonded?

Obviously, a plumber as well as a spark

Looks rubbish.
Not a plumber, look at the poor bends in the pipe, if there is one thing a plumber can normally do well, it is bend pipes neatly.

Could be double insulated cable inside, if so, do you think there is a requirement for the pipe to be bonded?
It would be single isolated inside the switch.
Back box/switch would be classed as an exposed conductive part.

I wouldn't have thought it is a requirement if the cable is double insulated and the run has no sharp edges.

Last edited:
It would be single isolated inside the switch.
Back box/switch would be classed as an exposed conductive part.
But i was assuming the box was attached to the cpc.
do you think there is a need to bond the pipe, assuming the cable comes into the box double insulated?

Personally i was thinking if the flex was secured inside the back box with a cable clamp then the tube need not be bonded, if it is free to move then i think the tube should be bonded.
but I am open to peoples suggestions.

But i was assuming the box was attached to the cpc.
do you think there is a need to bond the pipe, assuming the cable comes into the box double insulated?

Personally i was thinking if the flex was secured inside the back box with a cable clamp then the tube need not be bonded, if it is free to move then i think the tube should be bonded.
but I am open to peoples suggestions.
I say yes no difference from a class l light fitting

Last edited:
Very different from a class 1 light fitting.

It looks like there is an insulated and sheathed cable inside the pipe so there would be no need to earth it, it would be no different to a cable tray or basket in that respect.
And that sheathed cable is connected to a metal clad FCU which is connected to the copper pipe so makes it an accessory point. 411.3.1.1 states this very clearly

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks