Domestic Annual Smoke alarm test & certificate | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Annual Smoke alarm test & certificate in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craig1000

Hi All

Have been asked to check out the smoke alarms in 4 domestic properties & provide a annual certificate for said work!
Haven't done this before just want pointing in the right direction?
In both the NAPIT & HOLYCROFT certificate packages I have I have a cert for annual testing of commercial FA systems but for a domestic dwelling I only have install FA certs?
What cert should I use?
Cant see the need to be recording much as all I can do is check test button & all detectors operate, smoke them all, & visual surely! could drop them all off & R1+R2 & IR test the circuits also but these are really electrical cert checks!
Any advice would be great, I am sure it can be argued by some should I be doing it if I don't know but am sure I am competent if pointed in the correct direction! ;-)
As with anything if you haven't done it before you wont know, & you wont know until you do it!

Put new battery's in. Vac out the filter grid. Visual check and tug test of connections. Test the push button. Buy some "smoke in a can" and test each one making sure that each one sets off any that should be linked.

Thats what i thought in regards to checking/testing them!
what certification should I be issuing though?
The forms I seem to find are for installs by myself, I shall only be testing an existing install so am responsible for its design

Is there not a domestic only Fire Detection and Alarm System Inspection & Servicing Report
as a full Fire Detection and Alarm System Inspection & Servicing Report just seems a large overkill of paperwork with most things not being applicable to a basic domestic install! ;-)

I dont know Craig, never used a domestic smokes cert nor seen one. What I used to do when working for a previous firm is to type up a letter/cert. Where the smoke and heats are, interlinked or not, tested and are in working order at the time of issue, put down what you have done eg new back up batterys and cleaned them, push button works, led works.

Then put down any recommendations eg next inspection in 1 year, may be they need another smoke/heat put in to comform to current regs or to make th install safer (only a rec though).

Cheers Paul,

That makes sense, I'll try to knock something up in the morning & go from there! I find it strange there isn't a cert for a domestic annual report when its required by land lords or so I am led to believe. It definatly is for HMO's & for domestic properties let out to one family or at least required by insurances! God knows been looking into it for ages now!
thanks again for your reply's!

fire_inspectionservicing.jpg

Cheers again Paul,
I have a version of that sort in my certs packages but that is page 1 of 4 & the rest are alot of gumpf about much more complex installs, although I can N/A lots of it & that I may do I was just hoping there would be a smaller more simpler version for a smaller more basic install ,i.e basic domestic to be rented!
appreciate your effort looking it up!

Hi Paul,

What would you charge or did you used to charge for a annual smoke alarm report? Two of the properties are LD2 & two LD1, the LD1 properties having 8 & 9 devices respectively & the other two have 3 each!
I am thinking along the lines of a price per property report then a additional cost for extra detectors in the LD1 properties?
I would appreciate your thoughts!

Reply to Domestic Annual Smoke alarm test & certificate in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net