Domestic Cable Quality | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Cable Quality in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

farad

Hi,

I'm just about to start a full re-wire of my house and looking for some decent T&E cable. Is the Turkish Altin brand, sold at Wickes, as good as any other BASEC approved cable?

Thanks

Prysmian is all we use, heard some horror storys about cheap cable that was stamped up as BASEC but it wasnt at all !!

Prysmian and draka is worth the extra money, you can tell the quality when you strip it ! lol
must be quality if its made in the UK !!! lol

Prysmian is all we use, heard some horror storys about cheap cable that was stamped up as BASEC but it wasnt at all !!

Prysmian and draka is worth the extra money, you can tell the quality when you strip it ! lol
must be quality if its made in the UK !!! lol

The only thing wrong with the Prysmian cable I've used is the stupid cardboard box & fragile cardboard reels they use.

I don’t know if any of you will remember SWA cable where the insulated cores were bound together with a wide two layer tape and then the armouring laid over this. An extruded outer sheath overall.
As an apprentice I was making off one of these cables (70mm) and everything was going well, went to make off the other end and the inner serving wasn’t taped but extruded? We’d got the foreman, charge hand, tradesman and myself all scratching our heads. Every test we did said it was the correct cable at each end. In the end the decision was made rip it out!
Later I stripped it down, half way along the length I found where the manufactures had swapped form one form to the other.
BICC (I think, it’s a long time back) had supplied the cable were most apologetic it had escaped their system.

It went in to the Christmas fund.

Strange one that Tony. Was there a refund from BICC ????? Then again, I bet you weren't too bothered, eh.

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic Cable Quality in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net