Domestic EICR and covid 19 | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently on 14 days self isolation and myself and my son have had possible symptoms of covid.
My job is EICRs in domestic tenanted properties.
what are peoples views on this ?
should i refuse to work ,should i ask for risk assesments and method statements with PPE
it seems daft i cant visit my friends and family yet the goverment think its ok to enter 10-20 properties per week
theres no way you can social distance or avoid touching sockets , switches ,FCU and consumer unit so how can this be done safely?

Any guidance about what you should or should not be doing, should be obtained from the NHS/Public Health web site, which you’ve done.

Not visiting friends and family is mitigating you and your families exposure to the virus. Your employer sees your work as essential. Think about Nurses etc working in the NHS.

If you personally are extremely anxious about working, you should speak to your employer who would hopefully give you reassurance around yours and others safety. Other options could be that you ask for a period of annual leave/unpaid leave (subject to your employers agreement) or you have the option to go and see your GP, who might acknowledge your anxiety, and place you on sick leave.

(don‘t get the idea that’s these are my thoughts).

Its a very difficult situation.

Last edited:
I feel for you NF. As said, everything in writing from now on. I don't know if you can insist that each property is deep cleaned before you attend. Did you say this was for a housing association? Poor from your gaffer (certain swear words spring to mind..)..

tell ya boss you’ll happily attend every property if comes with you and performs the risk assessment first ?
I suspect he would. I’m having to go to work, nice cos I’m still getting paid, but I have a family that I could be exposing them to the virus.

The crux of this thread, is whether an EICR is essential work. Bearing in mind how much this thing is in flux, that will get answered in due course, perhaps.

thanks for all the advice , i am waiting for a full set of PPE before i even consider it, my boss has said that our contractors have been mostly refused entry and it seems to be more about trying to gain access (tho i wont be trying too hard) .

thanks for all the advice , i am waiting for a full set of PPE before i even consider it, my boss has said that our contractors have been mostly refused entry and it seems to be more about trying to gain access (tho i wont be trying too hard) .

Knock knock
Hi I'm here to do your unnecessary electrical inspection. If you refuse entry on grounds of safety I'll have to leave and then we'll all be safer.
Great, I'll be off then.

Knock knock
Hi I'm here to do COUGH COUGH your unnecessary electrical inspection. If you COUGH refuse entry COUGH on grounds of safety I'll have to leave and then we'll all be safer.
Great, I'll be off then.

COUGH

Edited for greater effect Andy, although it makes me seem slightly flippant... I'm not... ?

Speaking as a landlord, I'd just put any "due" EICRs on hold - under current legislation (in England at least, Scotland is different) they are not mandatory regardless of what any "guidelines" say.
As said, there's no way you could do an EICR safely - either to yourself or the occupiers. Think about it, you go into one house, pick up "things" on your clothes, then go into another house and risk spreading "things" to that house, then another house, ... Goes directly against government advice not to meet people unless it's necessary.

Gas, yes; EICR, absolutely not. If you emplyer says otherwise, ask for the law or regulation requiring it.
There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT at the moment for any EICR for domestic properties, nor is there any specified retest period. What there IS is a legal requirement to ensure that electrical installation and any supplied appliances are "safe" both at the start of a tenancy and during it. This is most easily satisfied by getting a magic EICR so that if the brown stuff should hit the fan, you can stand in the dock and say "but the nice sparky said it was safe".
The "at the start of the tenancy" bit is presumably why so many advocate an EICR at every change of tenant. IMO, a visual inspection is sufficient to look for alterations and tampering - and a full inspection only if there's evidence of the previous tenant having fiddled with stuff. Obviously, part of the judgement will be the type of tenants - we generally have the sort where tampering is not something we are bothered with.
During the tenancy, IMO there is no need for EICRs to some set schedule (or at all, depending on type of tenants). But if periodic inspections (of the property, not specifically electrics) spot anything fiddled with then that could be reason to have an EICR done regardless of whether it's due or not.

it's all fair enough going to a house to restore power to something due to a fault, but having to be in close contact and rooting about all through the house to perform an EICR is a big no-no, IMO, due to the risk to health. i'm with OP on this one.

I’d hope your company has also explained to the more elderly and needy tenants that they are are in no way inclined to have to let you i
they scots seem to have the right idea while we just get conflicting information down here , i emailed NICEIC, ACAS , PHE and my MP they either have not replied or NIC says its fine
NIC the last true bastion of integrity ?

Sensible advice from Scottish govt and Select
Yes, that does seem like sensible advice - lets face it, electrical installs don't have a timer set to make them suddenly become dangerous as soon as they hit 5 years since the last test/inspection like Kevin ? Without going and finding the Scottish legislation, I note that it says "under legislation relating to the enforcement of the repairing standard a landlord can be considered to have complied with the standard if the work has not been done because it would endanger any person" - which is not the case with the Gas Safety regs in England.

plead sick for a few more days. also could tell your boss you s not prepared to go into peoples' houses unless and until yous been tested for coviid 19 and proven negative.

It’s alright advising @newfutile what to do, but be mindful if his absent from work without a good reason, and currently he can’t prove or disprove he’s had COViD 19, and he’s already confirmed to his employer a return to work, he could face disciplinary action, which could include dismissal.

Its okay taking the high ground, but loosing his job from a disciplinary could have implications for his family and could result in also getting a poor employment reference.

Here's another link, this time from Unite, giving guidance from Gov/PHE/Acas;

Apart from the obvious, what are your concerns from returning to work newfutile?

The government are advising to self isolate if you suspect you have symptoms. They do not know if the have , or have had it . Surely caution is the safest thing to do.
As far as I’m aware OP had some symptoms and self isolated. He is now clear of those symptoms and completed the isolation period. He is unable to work from home, his employer deems his work as essential (don’t agree with that part), and wants him to return to work.

thats correct midwest i dont agree with them either , however there view is i am under an employment contract to do EICR's in there properties which they deem as urgent health and safety work. they also tell me its there duty as a social landlord (tho im not sure why perhaps insurance related?)

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks