Domestic EICR pricing??????? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic EICR pricing??????? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I’m starting to do EICRs in domestic properties just curious to know what others are charging particularly Scotland and very particularly around the Glasgow/Renfrewshire/ayrshire/Dunbarton way I’m offering £30 per circuit I reckon that gives me enough time to do it properly with a bit of wiggle room for unexpected issues and doing the cert what would you charge?
I’m not interested in the race to the bottom and compete on quality rather than price so I doubt I’d ever do it for much less.

Must be absolute nuggets doing the EICRs at those prices no wonder everyone hates them. :rolleyes:
The people who are doing 'condition reports' at these prices are indeed prize ----s. In my experience, it's the 'twentysomething straight from college to Rated People/MyBuilder' types who are the biggest offenders. But I suppose working for £40 -£60 is acceptable when you're still living at home with your parents and don't have many personal expenses. More so if you're not registered with HMRC and not paying any tax and NI. But of course, the reports these people produce aren't worth the paper they're printed on, not that some landlords and letting agents are bothered though. They're happy as long as their 'landlord's electrical safety certificate' has satisfactory written on page 1.
Im aware of the protection of title case @JK-Electrical but I thought that there was another thing in the pipeline about having a competent persons register about EICRs for rental properties?
I haven't heard anything about a separate register for electricians carrying-out EICRs in Scotland. Where did you hear this?
If it was enforced correctly it could well do a lot to rid the scoundrels from the EICR market but in reality it would .

While I agree that if such a register was introduced and enforced, the condition reports rogues could be banished from the market, I disagree that it would "probably be similar to the part P chaos down the road."
Anyway hopefully they sit up and take notice and bring in protection of title.

Me too ..... my livelihood is ultimately at stake here ..... yours too!
Only thing is does that mean we all need to be in a scam???

The working proposal is that SELECT and NICEIC would administer the register in partnership with the SJIB. So to be included on the register you would have to join either SELECT or NICEIC. But surely you would not want to join NICEIC given that they are fiercely resisting protection of title so they can preserve their golden goose Electrical Trainee schemes that have helped create the problem in the first place! SELECT isn't a scheme anyway. It's a trade association for the electrical contracting industry in Scotland, formed in 1900 as The Electrical Contractors' Association of Scotland. SELECT became the first trade association in the world to serve the electrical industry. SELECT has over 1200 Member companies employing over 15000 people.
I did look into joining the NIC and or Select and thought select would be the better option I just can’t see why I should though they aren’t really offering me much I don’t have at the moment except maybe some more work and a sticker for my van

The benefits of SELECT membership are many. My membership fees for the current year have been recouped several times over by way of jobs that were secured by being a member of SELECT that I would not have otherwise secured. There are some responsible landlords who insist on using only SELECT members for EICRs and smoke alarm installations. Then there are the generous discounts for members' training courses. Being a SELECT member also saves you £350 + VAT on the the annual registration fee for membership of the Building Standards Approved Certifier Scheme. SELECT also has annual awards. I was nominated for the category of best small contractor 2018. I didn't win, but the prestige has most definitely resulted in my business being noticed more.

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic EICR pricing??????? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net