Domestic Fuse board change politics | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Fuse board change politics in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am a commercial electrician and before we change old consumer units we always carry out an EICR as the clients have money on the commercial side of things, domestics however not so much.

on the domestic front i looked a shoddy HMO for a landlord today and they dont want to pay for a report before we change the DB.

I understand the obvious quick bond an insulation resistance checks you can carry out but your going to have to give an install cert after and you may find all kinds of crap, for example o had 0.15Mohms LN-E which could be anything.

basically without knowing what your hooking the new DB up to how do you advise the client on costs when the fixed wiring also needs to be signed off and on face value looks crap?

No you can't any work done under part P requires a certificate to be issued within 30 days failure to do so is a criminal offence and will be enforced by building control.

I'd agree with you on that but we're talking about an EICR, not notifiable works. Therefore the certificate is the work being paid for and I feel these should be paid for immediately. In fact it annoys me when customers take time paying for any sort of work, usually the work has been arranged for some time and you wouldn't go into a shop and ask to pay in a couple of weeks.

No you can't any work done under part P requires a certificate to be issued within 30 days failure to do so is a criminal offence and will be enforced by building control.
I have found that I sometimes need to revisit a test or two on site to properly complete an EIC - I'm sure it's ok, just can't read my own writing or some such failing on my part - and that would be a perfect time for a cheque to be gratefully received :rolleyes:

Ok I won't argue that you are correct. But I am still sure you do have to issue the cert. I will find out for sure. I cannot recall or feel inclined to work out where I read that right now.

A few years ago when I was QS for a company I was advised by the NICEIC assessor that we should hold the certificates until the bill was paid.
The company did the same thing with all certificates and guarantees (gas safe, NHBC etc etc)

Ok I won't argue that you are correct. But I am still sure you do have to issue the cert. I will find out for sure. I cannot recall or feel inclined to work out where I read that right now.
Most of my customers I wouldn't besmirch their reputations by being awkward, but if it happens to be a Landlord, then its divvy up first then they get the cert, simps. They are a breed apart, in my experience. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

A few years ago when I was QS for a company I was advised by the NICEIC assessor that we should hold the certificates until the bill was paid.
The company did the same thing with all certificates and guarantees (gas safe, NHBC etc etc)
The NICEIC told me we shouldn't hold onto certificates but what i can do is pour coffee over them,crumple them and write void over each page.

I can't see the point of holding on to an EIC (or MW), when the customer will have received the compliance certificate, when the CC is the only one they are really bothered about, for a house sale or a CC from building control for their fancy extension. As far as BS 7671 a minor works or EIC are all part & parcel of the work, so it could be argued (in a small claims), that the job's not been completed, 'cos the customer hasn't received his cert'.

I used to do the old hold onto the cert' routine, but can't see the point now. That said, never had a customer refused to pay (yet), and don't do work for landlords :)

Reply to Domestic Fuse board change politics in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net