Domestic fuse boards | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic fuse boards in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dinger809

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello chaps, looking at different boards for dwellings. MK don’t make them anymore, Schneider are hit and miss with knockouts knocking out and the wholesaler “own brands” ( the ones they push) can be somewhat tight. I’m looking at Hager and wondering on views, before I commit to buying the 12 I need for a job I’m about to start. Many thanks

Hager are very good quality in my experience. Heed their testing instructions if buying their type A DP RCDs though.
Hager have now changed their approach on their A type rccb’s and are now manufacturing them to be tested at 150mA rather than their previous 250mA range.

I’ve been Wylexing with their prebuilt SPD range and their new(ish) compact A type SP+N RCBO. The finished unit is not cheap but they are compact and good quality so if the job can afford it that’s what I use.

I’ve been Wylexing with their prebuilt SPD range and their new(ish) compact A type SP+N RCBO. The finished unit is not cheap but they are compact and good quality so if the job can afford it that’s what I use.

I costed the same set up with Hager gear yesterday. 8 RCBOs saw it at just over £300.

Not cheap at all. Or I need to pester my supplier more ?

Before I packed it in, I used to use MK. The last CU I replaced I used Hager, but it was not cheap, compared to the MK stuff and that was dual rcd.

Perhaps MK jacked it in, cos they couldn’t cure their slanty mcb’s etc :)

Ive a Hager Cu in my garage, which I’m converting to a habitable room. So I’m thinking of changing to a Design 50, to customise the lid. Thinking it ain’t gonna be cheap?

Cudis CPN, or Fusebox are well priced and the quality seems reasonable for both.

Both options for 8 way with SPD fitted are around £160 all in.

I can't justify or see the value in paying double for Hager when there is hardly any difference in quality.

Whichever you choose, I'd avoid RCBOs that need earth leads, they make it harder to leave the board not looking like a bowl of spaghetti.

At the cheaper end of the market, I've currently given up on Contactum because of the RCBO earth leads, and installed a few Fusebox ones lately.

If money allows I will always go for Hager
Did fit a load of MK ones recently as they were reduced to clear in homebase. small ones okay, but 10 ways you get the famous MK slant!
If budget is tight and customer wont pay then its Steeple (denmans own brand).
I am looking at the fusebox brand in future.

I am waiting to see if Schneider will continue to make MCBS for MK boards, as they have been making the MK switchgear for a few years now. they may just say our mcbs are okay for Mk boards... time will tell.

If money allows I will always go for Hager
Did fit a load of MK ones recently as they were reduced to clear in homebase. small ones okay, but 10 ways you get the famous MK slant!
If budget is tight and customer wont pay then its Steeple (denmans own brand).
I am looking at the fusebox brand in future.

I am waiting to see if Schneider will continue to make MCBS for MK boards, as they have been making the MK switchgear for a few years now. they may just say our mcbs are okay for Mk boards... time will tell.

Merlin Gerin used to make MK MCB's, but as far as I know they haven't done since before the rebranded to schneider.
I believe the most recent range of MK mcbs have been made by Siemens.

I've just purchased a CP fusebox with surge protection and rcbos, my first try with them for less than £150 delivered and the build quality isn't bad at all and not flimsy. No earths on the rcbos, nice and easy.There's plenty of room inside and not cramped. I'll update later how I get on with it but at that price and several other sparks recommending them it's certainly an up and coming make to look out for and consider. Hager is nice but just so pricey especially when competing in the domestic market. I've also fitted plenty of BG boards with no problems. MK have lost it for me as quality has gone downhill in recent years especially with accessory screws. Wylex good but a little pricey. Tried CEF own brand M2 which was ugly and very basic although it did the job with no comebacks. Most fuse boards I fit tend to be out of sight in a cupboard or under stairs somewhere and end up with client's leaning the vacuum cleaner, sweeping brush, mop and any other rubbish against them anyway so aesthetics aren't terribly important unless on show.

I'm surprised Hagar is so popular. I realise it is probably a very nice board to fit and make neat but the cost puts me off. If I gave the choice of a dual RCD hagar or dual RCD BG board to a customer I'm pretty sure the customer would go for the BG as it would be far cheaper. It would also be just as safe as a Hagar board. The price difference would be even more evident with a BG RCBO consumer unit compared to a Hagar RCBO CU.

Could I ask why so many of you prefer to quote the higher priced hagar to a customer? What are it's advantages over a BG board?

I'm surprised Hagar is so popular. I realise it is probably a very nice board to fit and make neat but the cost puts me off. If I gave the choice of a dual RCD hagar or dual RCD BG board to a customer I'm pretty sure the customer would go for the BG as it would be far cheaper. It would also be just as safe as a Hagar board. The price difference would be even more evident with a BG RCBO consumer unit compared to a Hagar RCBO CU.

Could I ask why so many of you prefer to quote the higher priced hagar to a customer? What are it's advantages over a BG board?

I have used Hager for years and years and find them to be completely reliable in terms of switchgear build quality and lifespan. I used to work for a commercial installation firm and we installed lots of it due to it being a council specced brand and having lots of council work.
I have used BG several times before and found issues every time I have used them. Broken terminal threads, RCDS not meeting trip times, main switches splitting when tightened, general poor quality, so decided long ago that they were a brand not worth bothering with to me.

Back when I was installing dual RCD insulated units the price difference between Hager and BG was less than £20 so wasn't even worth considering penny pinching. From personal experience it's a McDonalds or steak and chips scenario.

When I moved to installing RCBO as my only option, I found Hager far too pricey so looked around for other brands. Not from wanting to not use Hager, but from the understanding that most others would be undercutting me using BG/MK/Cudis/etc.

I'm currently getting prices for Hager from local sources as the prices have come down a little and I'd like to start offering them as an option to customers again. Still coming out pricey though.

Reply to Domestic fuse boards in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net