Domestic fuse boards | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic fuse boards in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dinger809

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello chaps, looking at different boards for dwellings. MK don’t make them anymore, Schneider are hit and miss with knockouts knocking out and the wholesaler “own brands” ( the ones they push) can be somewhat tight. I’m looking at Hager and wondering on views, before I commit to buying the 12 I need for a job I’m about to start. Many thanks

I have used Hager for years and years and find them to be completely reliable in terms of switchgear build quality and lifespan. I used to work for a commercial installation firm and we installed lots of it due to it being a council specced brand and having lots of council work.
I have used BG several times before and found issues every time I have used them. Broken terminal threads, RCDS not meeting trip times, main switches splitting when tightened, general poor quality, so decided long ago that they were a brand not worth bothering with to me.

Back when I was installing dual RCD insulated units the price difference between Hager and BG was less than £20 so wasn't even worth considering penny pinching. From personal experience it's a McDonalds or steak and chips scenario.

When I moved to installing RCBO as my only option, I found Hager far too pricey so looked around for other brands. Not from wanting to not use Hager, but from the understanding that most others would be undercutting me using BG/MK/Cudis/etc.

I'm currently getting prices for Hager from local sources as the prices have come down a little and I'd like to start offering them as an option to customers again. Still coming out pricey though.
That's interesting Andy as I have not come across any of those issues with BG. No broken terminals and no faulty RCD's. As for the main switch, that is one of the reasons I stopped using wylex and moved to BG as the Wylex main switch starts splitting when tightening the tails whereas I find the BG doesn't.

I may quote for a Hagar board soon just so that I can have a see for myself. Thanks for the input.

That's interesting Andy as I have not come across any of those issues with BG. No broken terminals and no faulty RCD's. As for the main switch, that is one of the reasons I stopped using wylex and moved to BG as the Wylex main switch starts splitting when tightening the tails whereas I find the BG doesn't.

I may quote for a Hagar board soon just so that I can have a see for myself. Thanks for the input.

Yes I realise that many people use BG regularly and don't have problems. Maybe I was unlucky, but I think that I gave them a fair shot. Probably about 5 consumer units over the course of 18 months. This was before metal clad boards though so I realise things could have changed.

I have literally never had a faulty Hager anything that i can recall. That goes for their Sollysta accessories too.

If you PM me I'd be happy to share my recent Hager prices.

Yes I realise that many people use BG regularly and don't have problems. Maybe I was unlucky, but I think that I gave them a fair shot. Probably about 5 consumer units over the course of 18 months. This was before metal clad boards though so I realise things could have changed.

I have literally never had a faulty Hager anything that i can recall. That goes for their Sollysta accessories too.

If you PM me I'd be happy to share my recent Hager prices.
I've had one faulty B10 RCBO (double module SP+N) once, but that's about it. I always spec Hager.

Its very miss-leading they say dual pole, but they aren't up to the EU specification for duel pole where the gap must be 3mm between contacts and overcurrent protection on both poles, not worried about single module, in fact to reach the EU spec I think they would have to be dual module, but thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Its very miss-leading they say dual pole, but they aren't up to the EU specification for duel pole where the gap must be 3mm between contacts, it seems that most don't even disconnect the neutral, not worried about single module, in fact to reach the EU spec I think they would have to be dual module, but thanks for the reply.
I believe the official name for these minature RCBOs which claim they are double pole is "single pole switched neutral" as to classed as double pole each pole is identical so overcurrent protection would need to be provided on the neutral conductor too, I think manufacturers like to throw the word double pole about as most sparks probably understand that.

Since the new guidance on not being able to use Diversity as a effective method of overcurrent protection on RCCBs what's peoples general view on Split load RCD boards which have 63amp RCCBs ?
Do people still use them but just make sure that the mcbs added together protected by the RCD dont exceed the rating ?

Or just check the main fuse is equal to the rating of the RCCBs

Where do you guys buy your Dual Pole RCBO's from?
Garo do one too.
[automerge]1580657713[/automerge]
Since the new guidance on not being able to use Diversity as a effective method of overcurrent protection on RCCBs what's peoples general view on Split load RCD boards which have 63amp RCCBs ?
Do people still use them but just make sure that the mcbs added together protected by the RCD dont exceed the rating ?

Or just check the main fuse is equal to the rating of the RCCBs
Using Hager DBs it doesn't arise as they are supplied with 100A devices now. Last 63A I used I put a KMF in with 63A fuse to avoid the argument, although in reality it's a non-issue.

Garo aren't anywhere near as good as Hager. Terminations too small on Earth & neutral bars etc. Personally I'd go for Hager.

I would every time if I could find a dual pole RCBO at a reasonable cost.
[automerge]1580682142[/automerge]
This is my current (sorry) board, the problem is the Hager RCBO's do comply with French regulations hence the search for true dual pole RCBO's.
[automerge]1580683668[/automerge]
Above post should say "the Hager RCBO's do NOT comply"

Attachments

• DSC00487.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I would every time if I could find a dual pole RCBO at a reasonable cost.
[automerge]1580682142[/automerge]
This is my current (sorry) board, the problem is the Hager RCBO's do comply with French regulations hence the search for true dual pole RCBO's.
[automerge]1580683668[/automerge]
Above post should say "the Hager RCBO's do NOT comply"
I get them here about the same price as single pole, e.g. AD9XXJ (where XX is current rating (e.g. AD910J for B10A).

I have found them in Ireland and Africa would be nice if they where available in the UK, a few on e-bay second hand, but thanks for the heads up on the part No makes it easier to look.

Quick question on the Irish one's can they be wired in either direction i.e. in at the top?

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic fuse boards in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net