Domestic Installer Assessment, Notifing Planning Control | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Installer Assessment, Notifing Planning Control in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the process of applying registering as a Domestic Installer, and I have what seems to be a common question. But I have not yet found the practical answer. Do you need to notify Planning Control of your two sample jobs? I have a feeling the answer is you should... but...there could be several options. One could be you advise them and they drop the charge, and other is advise them via the competent person scheme after you have passed. If there is a thread discussing this already then please could someone point me to it. Oh, I am going for NICEIC.

Thank you

I went elecsa and did the work, assessed, and then notified as my first jobs. This seemed to be ok and logic, if you did a poor job they would give you time to fix reassess and therefore the job not complete and notification is only required when the job complete.
If your using as 1 st assessment its going to be some of your finest work so, not to say all work is not fine but you do tend to take that extra 5 mins to do things.
Ask niceic technical, if there half as nice as the elecsa guys they will help you out. At the end of the day its their reputation as well.

Thank you londonlec and sbelec, very useful real experiences. I did speak with Elecsa on this subject many months ago when deciding on the scheme provider, and I recall they said something similar to what sbelec says. Unfortunately I forgot about this point a few months later when I decided to join NIC. I would still be interested to know the experience of any others. As I understand it the theory is you have four weeks after the job is done to notify, that means your job, and assessment process has to be completed within 4 weeks. I'll assume that was the principle used in sbelec's case.

I did try phoning the NIC help line, but because I am not yet a member I had to wait in the general public telephone queue, which I spent so long waiting that I gave up. Thought I would try here instead.

The very simple answer
If it is notifiable work,you must inform building control and probably pay them a fee before the work is carried out, or you are breaking the law

Once you have decided on applying for registration of a competent person scheme to self certificate

You can take your chance and break the law by edging your bets,hoping that you will become registered in time to get the notification done in the period specified, before your law breaking comes to light

Then there is reality
Labc do not have much time or interest in part P as a whole, never mind little jobs that are done in their thousands on a daily basis

Nobody will be particularly interested when you can or cannot self certify
There will be interest in your entry fee, as to who will get it,but not in matters of notification that mean zilch to the authorities or schemes

Spoke to elecsa today and they advised me that once assessment is complete you can notify through them. They did however mention that there is no harm in labc being made aware that work is carried out and this is recommended. Also payment should not be made to labc as no one is coming out to assess. 9 times out of 10 labc should be ok with this

The assessor wants to see a tidy job, safe isolation, testing skills, knowledge of 7671. He's not interested in your previous notification as you have time to do it once passed. He may ask questions on other ways of building control notification . Easy.

I went the legit way and notified the labc. It was only 1 new circuit to the outdoors, so they only charged me £70, which is becoming the norm for a single circuit notification. They asked for a copy of my quals, a notification and for me to send in my schedule of inspections. They didn't come out but were keen to stay in touch with me about commencement etc. My reasoning for notifying for my assessment piece, it's the law and you break it at your own risk. I don't like risk, which is why I pull fuses!

Interesting the "methods", here in north west some of the authorities are not interested in electrical and basically it is get a part p spark. The logic, I assume, is based on part P and the EIC require sign of erection methods and not just testing and these are impossible to check on some installations when you finish. The same logic used for not allowing Part P sparks to sign off others work requiring notification, the best that can be carried out is a condition report and you can't comment on zones for one. Hence LABC not interested....
My Elecsa assessment is always based on CU change and additional work, new circuit, bathroom, kitchen etc. Which can be a pain but as I said earlier the guys are all really nice and knowledgable so sometimes its nice to talk about methods and ideas - that may sound daft but working on your own leaves you with no chatting mate just to talk through ideas. Hence I use this forum and the elecsa guys. Works for me..

Reply to Domestic Installer Assessment, Notifing Planning Control in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net