Domestic Installer/Commercial Work? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Installer/Commercial Work? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
Ulan Bator, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Mongolia
Chaps.

At my annual NIC inspection a couple weeks ago, the Inspector asked if I had thought about changing from Domestic Installer to Approved Contractor. I told him that I had thought about it but I don't think I've got enough experience or the knowledge, but that I have turned down a few commercial jobs over the past year.

He responded by saying that if I only did one or two a year then it wouldn't be worth it, but that I could do a commercial job if I wanted, as long as it complied to BS7671, I had the right insurance, and that I couldn't use Domestic Installer Certificates.

Surely there's more too it than that? For example, what about notifying Building Control - would a Domestic Installer be able to do this through the NIC's notification portal? Would a Domestic Installer be able to sign off emergency lighting? Etc etc? There must be more ....

Thanks in advance.

Chaps.

At my annual NIC inspection a couple weeks ago, the Inspector asked if I had thought about changing from Domestic Installer to Approved Contractor. I told him that I had thought about it but I don't think I've got enough experience or the knowledge, but that I have turned down a few commercial jobs over the past year.

He responded by saying that if I only did one or two a year then it wouldn't be worth it, but that I could do a commercial job if I wanted, as long as it complied to BS7671, I had the right insurance, and that I couldn't use Domestic Installer Certificates.

Surely there's more too it than that? For example, what about notifying Building Control - would a Domestic Installer be able to do this through the NIC's notification portal? Would a Domestic Installer be able to sign off emergency lighting? Etc etc? There must be more ....

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to notify the LABC when doing industrial/commercial work unless the commercial work has domestic accomodation attached (eg a flat) and is supplied via the same meter.

There are firms out there which are not registered with any one (NIC, NAPIT) but still issue certificates.

Last edited:
So an EIC for major work - rewiring a hairdresser or an estate agent - doesn't need to be notified? That sounds like a recipe for disaster!:eek:

If it doesn't fall under Part P then why would you need or want to notify it? Doesn't mean the work's not been done correctly does it? Go for AC so you can get your hands on those red certs, the assessment's not as bad as you think, doubt there's much difference from the one you've just had - they'd just want to see some commercial work too.

Thanks Coburn. I'll give it serious thought. Apart from the extra cost to register ...... I'd like to get some more education and experience under my belt as well, specifically fire alarm and emergency lighting courses .... does something like emergency lighting not need to be notified to Building Control, or to the Fire Brigade - so you need to be an Approved Contractor - even if it's a simple set-up ????

Thanks for any advice.

From what the NIC have told me over the phone you can become an approved contractor by just showing domestic work on you initial inspection, the inspector would then need to see in subsequent inspection a little more commercial, but you can start using the red sheets straight away, which would open up new commercial work for the inspection the following year. I thought too for years you have to show commercial work when applying initially :(

You can show whatever work you do in your day to day business. If my business was only installing power supplies for CCTV cameras then that's what I'd show. If all I did was minor works all week adding spurs for aircon units then that's all they'd want to see. If I rewired entire operating theatres with emergency lighting and backup supplies then that's what they'd want to see.

Once you're on the scheme it's only supposed to cover you for work that's similar to that you presented at the time of assessment. As Pennywise said that could all be domestic if you want, then you'd be on both schemes. In reality once you're in with them as long as you can do the work properly there won't be a problem doing other bits that you didn't show for assessment. I've never done any emergency lights but was told if I wanted to, ring them for advice, make sure I've got the right books to reference and just do the job - then they'd probably pick that out at next year's assessment as it's something different.

The cost between the 2 schemes was negligible when I looked, if you're a small business too then they can put you down for a 1/2 day assessment in coming years instead of a full day.

Hope this helps, give your area guy a call - they've always seemed dead helpful to me and will put your mind at rest I'm sure

Reply to Domestic Installer/Commercial Work? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net