Domestic installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamesK

Hi all, came across this site while searching the net so thought I would register to ask some advice

Im wanting to become a self employed domestic only installer and be able to self certify my own work

Basically my reason for this is due to me having a few family members who rent out properties and they are more than happy to give me all the electrical work but I need to be able to provide certificates

I have just over 1 year on site experience as a trainee in domestic properties, obviously with me been a trainee I got all the chasing out and fitting back box jobs, but as the company I worked for was only a 2 man band they also give me chance to do things a lot of first year trainees wouldn't have done including : small amount of testing, 2nd fixing, extending ring circuits, new ring circuits from CU, fitting and wiring downlights,

small amount of testing
2nd fixing
extending ring circuits
new ring circuits from CU,
fitting and wiring downlights
Wiring radial circuits, cooker, spur for boilers etc...

I am wanting to know your opinions on the best road to go down for where I want to be please

I know I could do my part P, 17th edition and inspection and testing exams which would then enable me to register as full scope domestic installer providing I can show examples of my work to the scheme provider

Would anyone advise me to not go down this route ?

Look forward to all your advise

Thanks very much

James

if you are competent, you can certify your own work, but to notify to LABC, you need to join a scam like elecsa, niceic etc. 17th ed. is a must along with PL insurance and 2 jobs for assessment. a core qualification as an electrician is desirable, but with all the Electrical Trainee being churned out, nobody gives a ---- anymore, till there are a few more fatalities and then the money won't talk so loud .

Perhaps you should consider an electrical theory course to enable you to understand how to design and install circuits safely, this used to be covered by the c&g 2330 though a new course has replaced this one.

Thanks telectrix and derek for the advice

Im at a bit of a croosroads really, not sure which way to go

Not sure I can even get an apprenticeship now im 25 ? Or if I could, I think the younger school leavers would get priority over me

Only advantage I may have is a years on site experience but not sure if that would count towards anything

Im currently unemployed, and all the college courses are fully booked so thats out of the window

Ive got in touch with a few companies, just waiting on replies but I dont hold much hope to be honest

Thanks very much

James

Ok, been doing a bit more thinking, ive missed college this year, and I know I dont really need the 2356 level 2 and 3 as all im wanting to do is domestic / light commercial work as a self employed installer

If I could get a full time trainee job for the next year, with a time served qualified electrician, would this practical experience be better for me than going to college considering the road I want to go down ?

Thanks again for your help and advice

if you are competent, you can certify your own work, but to notify to LABC, you need to join a scam like elecsa, niceic etc. 17th ed. is a must along with PL insurance and 2 jobs for assessment. a core qualification as an electrician is desirable, but with all the Electrical Trainee being churned out, nobody gives a ---- anymore, till there are a few more fatalities and then the money won't talk so loud .
to notify to LABC don't have to be scam registered tel.ive just registered with my LABC on their free competent persons list and all I have to do is send my certs to them with my free reg number.

Thanks for that advice, really helpful

Sorry about that james. I thought it was a wind up, after a bit of a do down the local i was not in a serious mood. I was in a very serious mood this morning when i woke up to screaming kids and the realisation that it was not the weekend and i was expected on a job.:sad3: No harm in asking though.
As Bert has said you dont need to be a scam member to notify to LABC, take a look at the revised part p document

not here. labc insist on scam members or pay labc £300 per job. if this is a new thing, tell me more.

I left elecsa after a dispute with them over their lack of communication and willingness to help me resolve an issue with a customer.that was me done with scams so I started issuing certs off my own back.get a phonecall from the LABC about a cert I had issued."who are you registered with" so I told her no one and wasn't ever likely to be again.i refused to pay another £500 to a scam who basically did nothing for me at all.she then asked me what qualifications I had so I reeled them off....17th , 2391 , part p 2 million liability and all my calibration certs."oh that's fine..can you forward me a copy of each one and I,ll add you to our 'free' competent persons list" you will receive a number,just add it to your certs everytime you fill one in and we will be able to relate it to you and know that it has been done to the current regs.....thank you goodbye.so I am now on my LABC competent persons list and don't have to pay a penny to cert my own work off.she told me to enquire to other LABC,S in the surrounding areas to see if they did the same thing.

Sorry about that james. I thought it was a wind up, after a bit of a do down the local i was not in a serious mood. I was in a very serious mood this morning when i woke up to screaming kids and the realisation that it was not the weekend and i was expected on a job.:sad3: No harm in asking though.
As Bert has said you dont need to be a scam member to notify to LABC, take a look at the revised part p document

No problem mate, to be honest was probably been a bit daft myself and trying to jump in with both feet

Ive decided against doing the short seperate courses and have decided to go down the college route with the 2365 level 2 and 3, only problem ive got is the college says the start date is the end of october, and it will be my luck im either too late to enroll now or its fully booked up

In that case it would be a very long wait until next september but might just have to bide my time I suppose

Thanks

Reply to Domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net