Domestic lighting circuit identification problem | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic lighting circuit identification problem in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gaz05

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of sorting out a few things before changing the consumer unit at my moms' house (I only finished college last June so still wet behind the ears and have loads to learn). The bedroom above the garage was built as an extension years ago and the feed for the bedroom light was taken from the landing light, which in turn is on the downstairs lighting circuit. So incorrectly identified at the consumer unit for isolation.
Having checked all the other lighting points upstairs they are wired in singles and at the ceiling rose only switched live, presumably why the extension was taken from the landing... What options do I have? Is labelling with a note on the downstairs breaker good enough? If not would mean re wiring the upstairs lights no?

Thanks for reading and any input

from what you describe, i wouldnt be surprised if the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuit dont share a neutral that feeds the landing light. so you may find that if you put upstairs and downstairs on a different rcd, one of them will trip when you turn the light on. It happened to me last week, and it seems like the same layout as yours, landing light on the downstairs lightingcircuit.

Reply to Domestic lighting circuit identification problem in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
thank you it really made me feel small, maybe i played it a bit thick, but as the one needing the work done i was cap in hand, will try another...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have to agree with Baldelectrician on almost everything he says except one ! I wouldn’t be walking away I’d be running lol. Definitely if your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As with many of the DIY questions we get on here.... We dont mind helping out (at least most of us... lol) but i would advise to know your own...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We just left it as it was, again the customer didn't seem too bothered, dont think she wanted me digging any further.
Replies
Views
along with indicators on BMWs. they're never used anyway.
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks