Domestic PIR but not in NIC?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic PIR but not in NIC?? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello fella's,

My mate has asked me to test the property he is about to buy. I have done loads of inspecting and testing in the past for firms, so I know how to test. However, I dont do a lot of private work so I am not registered with NIC/Elecsa...etc

My questions are;

Will my report be valid? (regarding not being a member)
Would a charge of £25 per circuit (min £150) be about right?
How about remedial works after?
Do I need to call out the council or shall I just bite the bullet and try to become a member of one of these bloody scheme's? Grrr!

first, you can do the pir, no problem. second, your suggested charges are about right. third, repair work not involving a new circuit or work in a special location is non-notifiable, so just get on and do it , mate.

It would depend more on what the insurance company or Local Authority (in case of entertainments licenses etc) specify. If just for a client wanting it done, then if they are prepared to accept your certs its all good. Generally think you would need likes of NIC AC or ECA in the rare ones I've been asked about.

does anyone know why/how a PIR done by a 2391 spark (not part of a scheme) is acceptable to LABC and yet an installation cert done by the same spark(for notifiable work) needs to be backed up by membership to a scheme ? I understand that some work is notifiable , would it be acceptable to supply a PIR for property that has had notifiable work done to it a week before by another spark who the client says has left the country ?

Jonthesparks - i totally dont understand what the difference is , if you are a JIB Approved electrician with the competance to do a PIR / installation certificate in commercial why do you need to join a scheme for domestic?

I see what you are saying, basically do you need to be a memeber of a scheme to do a domestic PIR? if not you are saying you could claim the electrician that installed the work has left without completing a Installation Certificate could you do a PIR cover their work?

is that what you mean?

Reply to Domestic PIR but not in NIC?? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net