Domestic PIR No RCD - can I / can't I? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic PIR No RCD - can I / can't I? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Evening all!
Quick domestic PIR question.
I have been asked to PIR on a home for a friend of mine. The installation is perfectly sound throughout the home. Lighting is split into 2 circuits, there are a total of 5 ring finals for the sockets as extensions / loft conversions have been added over the years. All spurs are fused, including boiler etc.
All dead tests, Ze, PFC & Zs are well within their parameters. IR is off the scale and every ring test is spot on. Smoke alarms are interlinked, mains powered and battery backed up, even the doorbell is fused off a lighting ring. Basically it's spot on....only problem is there are no RCDs.....Can I pass it on a PIR? The installation went in in 2002. I've not been sparksing for that long so I don't know what the regs were at the time?

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions, advice etc........

Oh and yes, I am 2391 before you ask!! :p:p:p:p

i would just put it down as code 4
all tripping times are ok just report it on paper work if you can plug in and usesomthing outside or nothing is to be done like that put it on paper work

Forget what edition it was installed to, you compare the installation to the requirements of BS7671:2008.

You should have rcd protection on socket outlets, all bathroom circuits and cables buried at depths of less than 50mm without earthed metallic sheaths etc.

The only discussion is what code you allocate.

The ESC Best Practice Guide would advocate a 4-take a look:

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG4_08.pdf

whay would it be code 1!!!!??

it was designed to a previous edition that did not required use of rcds!! the installation has not changed but the regs have!! hence the reason for code 4 (does not meet requirements of 7671:2008)

by coding a code 1 you are insinuating it is dangerous and needs rectifying ASAP! which it is not!

Code 1 = dangerous
Code 2 = Needs Attention
Code 3 = Further Investigation
Code 4 = Not as per current regs!!

It doesn't matter whether he reads up on codes/PIR's or not, it only matters when he fires off incorrect advice on a forum without thinking first.

Some guys actually use our posts to formulate the codings for their PIR's so let's just think before hitting the 'post' button!

Last edited:
once upon a time kitchens were fitted by joiners, not a couple of boneheads with a flatpack and an IKEA allen key, and everyone worked with each other trade in perfect harmony. joiners joined, pumbers plumbed, sparkys sparked . now mr. bodgit builder does it all and it's ok because he's got part scope and a villa in spain.

Reply to Domestic PIR No RCD - can I / can't I? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net