Domestic Shed Installation | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Shed Installation in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LGRSol

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having recently qualified as an electrician, I am beginning to understand the adhocs and curveballs that customers can throw at you.

Last week I went to quote for a shed installation. The shed is approximately 25m from the property and would be a relatively straight forward notifiable job i.e. SWA buried to a safe depth (500mm), 2 way DB in shed for 1 way lighting and ring final sockets.

Now in my limited experience, as far as I am concerned the install would be directly to the main DB and either protected by a 30mA RCD or alternativly using an RCBO. However the customer has said that they really want the source to be from a fused spur out of the ring final circuit in the garage.

Obviously I am fully aware of the regs and in particular 5.7 of Part P. As far as I am concerned, this is an absolute no go, however I am struggling to find if this is stated anywhere in the wiring regs. Before I say this to the customer please could I have some advice / thoughts.

Much appreciated,
Lee

Learnt something else, today. I have always used the ocpd at the origin, to decide my maximum Zs value (in such a scenario), but I guess the above makes sense. Although I suppose this would only be the case with such a design using a 13A fuse for the max limiting value, as a smaller fuse could always be replaced by a larger one.
I don't see how or why it couldn't be done for any fuse size. DNO fuse can be changed for larger, as can fuses in the likes of KMF Switches. MCB's are hard to swap out either - you can't make everything idiot proof.

I don't see how or why it couldn't be done for any fuse size. DNO fuse can be changed for larger, as can fuses in the likes of KMF Switches. MCB's are hard to swap out either - you can't make everything idiot proof.

I was just thinking, if you designed your altered circuit, using the limiting factor with a 3A BS1362 fuse in your FCU, it could be replaced with 13A by a homeowner for example. It would have to be a bit of a long run mind, but still feasible.

Secondly, why fit a RFC? Just for a 4mm radial

Don't know why anyone would choose to install a ring over a radial.

A 4mm radial seems overkill for a shed.

Ring circuits have advantages in some situations, particularly in supplying a large number of sockets in multiple rooms of domestic premises where they are more economical.

To rule out one installation method over another based on opinion is narrow minded.

A 4mm radial seems overkill for a shed.

Ring circuits have advantages in some situations, particularly in supplying a large number of sockets in multiple rooms of domestic premises where they are more economical.

To rule out one installation method over another based on opinion is narrow minded.

Could be overkill but it gives more scope in the future for added equipment. All depends on what's being used.

Could do A3 radial. 20mcb, 2.5mm.

Narrow minded? Most decisions are based on facts and opinions. IMO rings have more disadvantages than they have advantages. It's fact radials are easier to install and less complicated to test/understand.

The iet released a wiring matters document (google) detailing the use of a spur from ring circuit to serve an outbuilding - accepted arrangment subject to the considerations already mentioned by other posts.

You may also want to consider the distance of the shed from the origin of the supply. The greater this is, the stronger the case for a dedicated earth at the shed end I.e. TT arrangement. Presumably there are no metallic services entering the shed e.g. gas/water pipe work.

The iet released a wiring matters document (google) detailing the use of a spur from ring circuit to serve an outbuilding - accepted arrangment subject to the considerations already mentioned by other posts.

You may also want to consider the distance of the shed from the origin of the supply. The greater this is, the stronger the case for a dedicated earth at the shed end I.e. TT arrangement. Presumably there are no metallic services entering the shed e.g. gas/water pipe work.

Reply to Domestic Shed Installation in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net