Downlights for detached garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Downlights for detached garage in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pete3

As part of a job i have been asked to fit 2 downlights in the soffits above each of two garage doors, the garage is detached and has a pitched tiled roof and is open (no ceiling or insulation) inside the roof above the soffits. The lights are to be connected to a timer.

I normally only fit fire rated downlights but was wondering whether this is required in this situation. I want to use low energy downlights if i can and would welcome your thoughts as you can get non fire rated low energy downlighters quite cheaply .

Thanks in advance.

Peter

This is only my opinion in practical terms and non technical terms.

Fire rated down lighters are normally fitted into ceilings or structures where protection is needed to stop fire spreading into a floor, room, void, or whatever needs protection above. If the soffits are not constructed of a fire rated material then you are not breaking a fire rated seal.

Agreed, normally only fit FR type, but cannot see any problem fitting "open back" type in garage soffit, would go for IP65 flavour though.

Regards WA

The official line is fire rated fittings should be used where a fire compartment is penetrated.

In a normal domestic situation, fire rated fittings are not required because a house is one compartment due to the big hole where the stairs are :)

Whatever the situation, we fit fire-rated only now, prices have fallen rapidly over the last few years!

We only use FR now....and in an open garage soffit there is a possibility of flammable materials coming into contact with the fittings....(seen birds nests built around downlights in a soffit before!)....not likely to be a problem with LE downlights,but not good with LV ones.. the enclosed construction of FR fittings will be much less of a hazard than open ones.

Reply to Downlights for detached garage in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net