Downlights..... is this just me ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Downlights..... is this just me ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
My normal method of installing recessed gu10 downlights is as follows:

first fix
coil up above
draw plan
plasterboard goes straight over the top
cut out holes after boarded - before it's plastered (just in case any issues)

Half way through a job at the mo and the architect and builder seem to think that this is not the done method and are skimming before I get a chence to cut my holes out !! customer hasnt even decided on lights yet so dont even no the cut out size

Wouldnt be so bad if only a few, but I've got 25 to get bang on, no access above, cellotex, urrrggh!! My plan should be ok... but I know what the builders are like at moving cables!!

Any thoughts please:(

i always mark out and note posisions drill out after plastering as if you try to plaster a ceiling with holes drilled the plaster will sag around holes and you dont get a smoothe ceiling

Yep I usually leave it in the lap of the Gods as well and wait until it's all skimmed. It often requires the good old 'mirror on a stick' installation method and a lot of rod use, but usually comes good in the end.

Mind you, if I was doing 25 of them in a completely inaccessible ceiling I may feel differently......

Yep from what I've seen the builders / plasters will want the holes drilled after they've completed their works - guess it makes skimming the ceiling easier if there is no holes in it

Drill out the centre holes for the downlights with a 5mm bit. Into this insert a Rawl plug and woodscrew. Let the plasterer carry on then all you need to do is remove plug and drill out hole for lights.

Last edited:
Spoke to my plasteror mate last night and he said yep thats right they prefer a smooth surface otherwise where there is a hole it just 'sucks' Just hope my plan is bang on...

Oh well been one of those weeks.... stress!! And now have to work tomorrow also.

A lot of plasterers complain that with the holes there, the plaster can drip onto theirs faces or eyes.

More often than not, if you get friendly with them, you can normally talk them round :)

Yeah got my laser no worries there.... essential with down lights

More often than not, if you get friendly with them, you can normally talk them round

Think I've been lucky in the past and must have always worked with friendly plasterers.... or managed to get in there first before they've had any choice on the matter

A lot of plasterers complain that with the holes there, the plaster can drip onto theirs faces or eyes.

Awww diddums. Try getting a belt because the other trades won't bloody leave things alone. Or even taking a few layers of skin off the hands reaching up through downlight holes because the spread can't do his bloody job properly!

i did a job a while ago first fixes marked all the ceiling joists and cable positions etc as you do and yes the builers rammed it so full of insulation with the cables ontop of it 6 down lighters all holes cut in the correct position no cables 4 hours later job complete , 4 hours for 6 down lights 1/2 hour to wire up 3 1/2 hours trying to fish the cables throught solid insulation , didnt half have ago at the builder , mind you i did get my own back after he came home and peed over a socket tripping the RCD ,micky take there i think

I use the tape measure & Chalk line method for setting out downlights and cut the holes before the boards have been plastered.
Plasterers seem to get on ok as long as the wires are tucked away.:)

What's the worry about the plasters for? Screw em I say! They fill our boxes so we can't find them and damage the cables when on the rear occasion they do clear a box out. I've never met a plaster who every considered anyone other than themselves.
I always drill holes before plastering regardless of if they want me to or not. If I don't know the fitting size I go small and then pad saw them out if need be. I need to worry about my finish and time taken as I to am on a price. If a plaster can't get over a few holes then it's there problem not mine. As you may be able to tell I've been caught far to many times in the past.

They fill our boxes so we can't find them and damage the cables when on the rear occasion they do clear a box out. I've never met a plaster who every considered anyone other than themselves.

Only plasterer I have ever worked with who cut out boxes for me turned out to be a millionaire property magnate! Really nice guy as well.

i find (if possible) is to run all my cables first to the position they should be , leaving enough length for unforseen stuff, then drill a small hole in the plasterboard and put a screw in. that way it leaves plenty room for the plasterers and their drippage, then when its dry i cut my holes and fit my luminaires job done

They fill our boxes so we can't find them and damage the cables when on the rear occasion they do clear a box out. I've never met a plaster who every considered anyone other than themselves.

yeah agree mate or they snip the cables & you end up with not even enough to second fix a socket.

Yep I usually leave it in the lap of the Gods as well and wait until it's all skimmed. It often requires the good old 'mirror on a stick' installation method and a lot of rod use, but usually comes good in the end.

Mind you, if I was doing 25 of them in a completely inaccessible ceiling I may feel differently......

I'm with you on this, but i also make sure that the cable is clipped to something to stop it getting moved too far. I once had a bit of luck looking for a smoke alarm cable hidden in the ceiling in a new flat, i hadnt first fixed so had no idea where it was, so i took a rough guide from the flat above and put my 20mm holesaw in, i cut through, pulled the saw out and the cable fell out and went in my eye!

Reply to Downlights..... is this just me ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net