Drop Saw Wiring | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Drop Saw Wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, I am trying to repair a Elu Dropsaw for my Father. I am wondering if the controller that is original can be deleted and a standard safety on/off switch wired in? The "Solenoid" that`s in it is a) in Germany and b) too expensive.
I have attached photo`s for your evaluation.
Thank you for your time.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Drop Saw Wiring

It seems a version of the saw had a single integrated solenoid start switch, and then your version with separate relay/pcb (possibly the other way round chronologically)
Assuming it could be safely fixed in the side panel, you could in principle fit an integrated start/stop motor switch if you know how to incorporate it safely into the machine wiring.
But in my opinion it would be better to leave as much of the original circuitry as you can, including the separate relay, unless it is unserviceable.

Could you clarify what the problem is please - and is the original start/stop switch still present?

It seems a version of the saw had a single integrated solenoid start switch, and then your version with separate relay/pcb (possibly the other way round chronologically)
Assuming it could be safely fixed in the side panel, you could in principle fit an integrated start/stop motor switch if you know how to incorporate it safely into the machine wiring.
But in my opinion it would be better to leave as much of the original circuitry as you can, including the separate relay, unless it is unserviceable.

Could you clarify what the problem is please - and is the original start/stop switch still present?
The Contacts on the relay are burned up, when you hit the on button it works, but no turning it off. I was wondering if one of these would work?

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Drop Saw Wiring
    4FD441C8-B408-408B-9B38-9873E776B12C_bs8j4v.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 18
If you plug the saw in, turn it on at the mains, then switch the motor on with the starter, it's now running - correct?
You say the stop button doesn't stop it?
If you switch off at the mains plug while it's running, and the motor slows/stops, if you switch back on at the plug, does the motor start running again?
If it doesn't, I wonder if there's something up with the wiring of the switch, and it's not the relay?

If you plug the saw in, turn it on at the mains, then switch the motor on with the starter, it's now running - correct?
You say the stop button doesn't stop it?
If you switch off at the mains plug while it's running, and the motor slows/stops, if you switch back on at the plug, does the motor start running again?
If it doesn't, I wonder if there's something up with the wiring of the switch, and it's not the relay?
If you unplug it and plug it back it, it runs again.

If you unplug it and plug it back it, it runs again.
So the relay contacts are closed all the time? Or can you get them to open?
Have you tried separating/ burnishing the relay contacts, or is it too far gone 🤔

PS The mains cable looks as if it has outlived it's time - presumably you'll replace it?

Last edited:
So the relay contacts are closed all the time? Or can you get them to open?
Have you tried separating/ burnishing the relay contacts, or is it too far gone 🤔

PS The mains cable looks as if it has outlived it's time - presumably you'll replace it?
It`s too far gone, and I have replaced the main cable after photo was taken. I would have thought that I would be able to delete the board and relay and wire it up to a standard stop switch, but knowing how to wire in the capacitor is not in my skill set.

Mains in cable replaced, I`m just wondering how the capacitor should be run.
As far as I'm aware that's an induction motor and the capacitor is permanently in circuit, as below.
You should be able to see from the tracks on the pcb which motor wire goes to the capacitor, and the other capacitor wire goes to the supply.
The start/stop /relay circuit (to prevent startup in the event power is cut and then restored) supplies "ACMains" below.

Your capacitor looks original to the machine, and by now may have significantly changed value. Would be worth measuring it if you can.

View: https://youtu.be/bFzoWxtLv5o?feature=shared

I imagine you were thinking of this sort of thing:
(please don't buy a Chinese version, and there seem to be many without the solenoid/relay which would not be as safe)

So mains feed into the bottom connections, power to motor "ACMains" out of the top two.

Last edited:

Reply to Drop Saw Wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net