dryer tripping rcd | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss dryer tripping rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"I has exactly the same issue a few months back although my client was advised by other (non electrical people) that i had done something wrong and it was all my fault. I simply put her mind at rest by paying her a visit and doing a quick test (insulation resistance and continuity tester) to prove her dryer was at fault. I also put everything i could find and switched it on informing her that everything was on load and the rcd held but as soon as dryer was switched on trip. I then repeated this process with nothing switched on in the whole house and as soon as the dryer went on trip. She soon came to believe me it was the dryer

All the people telling her it was something i had done were very public about it ...kindly informing her on an open page on facebook!"

That will be "know it all geezers" who were trying to impress her. Sadly, they know squat! I hope she told them they were all wrong and none of them had won the biggest w***y competition on this occasion!

Last edited by a moderator:
"I has exactly the same issue a few months back although my client was advised by other (non electrical people) that i had done something wrong and it was all my fault. I simply put her mind at rest by paying her a visit and doing a quick test (insulation resistance and continuity tester) to prove her dryer was at fault. I also put everything i could find and switched it on informing her that everything was on load and the rcd held but as soon as dryer was switched on trip. I then repeated this process with nothing switched on in the whole house and as soon as the dryer went on trip. She soon came to believe me it was the dryer

All the people telling her it was something i had done were very public about it ...kindly informing her on an open page on facebook!"

That will be "know it all geezers" who were trying to impress her. Sadly, they know squat! I hope she told them they were all wrong and none of them had won the biggest w***y competetition on this occasion!

She was actually brilliant from the start and didn't believe the others (or so it appeared when i went back) just needed reassured which is why i went back. Turned out it was a faulty element on her new dryer and boy didn't she let them all know in no uncertain terms.... praised me up to the hilt and told the rest where to get off.

The trouble I have is the customer is stating “it worked beforeyou changed my old death trap for a nicesafe C/U scenario”
I know and am able to pat test but as I as recently self-employedthat a pat tester is still on the shopping list

A car will work with 3 wheels, you wouldn't want to go round corners though. Use your meter to test it, continuity and IR?

I had similar with a cooker on Thursday. Turned out to be the control that switches between different functions of grill and oven, all but 1 setting was fine, this setting would trip the RCD. Faulty appliance, engineer on their way out on Tuesday next week.

The trouble I have is the customer is stating “it worked beforeyou changed my old death trap for a nicesafe C/U scenario”
I know and am able to pat test but as I as recently self-employedthat a pat tester is still on the shopping list
Just get an adapter to use with your meter for now. I regularly use one of these (don't remember paying this much for it though):
Kewtech PAT Adapter/Adaptor 1

If your 30 mA RCD is going out at 48 mA on a ramp test then there is something wrong with it.

Did wonder what was happening with the RCD results as the 48mA reading sort of contradicts the 1X readings assuming i have read them correctly at 29.3mS and 19.1mS. How does the ramp test work on these testers - i.e. are these readings possible?

You dont need a bloody PAT tseter to test a bloody portable appliance. Just IR test it with your mult tester and if you get low resistance to earth tell her to get the freakin supplier to replace the doggarned dryer. This isn't your fault or your problem. Impose your will on her!

Yes but you should have highlighted to them before you started that they can have faulty equipment in their house or even a neutral to earth fault and it would not be noticed with a fuse or circuit board but it will and can be picked up by a RCD safety board also I was called back to a job and I took my PAT tester with me to prove it was the iron causing the fault customer was well chuffed that the RCD picked up the fault before he had an accident

Yes but you should have highlighted to them before you started that they can have faulty equipment in their house or even a neutral to earth fault and it would not be noticed with a fuse or circuit board but it will and can be picked up by a RCD safety board also I was called back to a job and I took my PAT tester with me to prove it was the iron causing the fault customer was well chuffed that the RCD picked up the fault before he had an accident
Will defiantly take this on board for the future thanks
1 day older 1 day wiser lol

Reply to dryer tripping rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net