Earth Leakage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth Leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

IPAlarms

I'm not a sparky. I have two houses on my plot (not in England) and the small house takes a mains feed from the main house and has its own consumer unit. For some reason we get little shocks from things like computer cases from anything connected to the second consumer unit.

We do not have the second consumer unit earthed - will this likely be the problem ?

Sounds very much like an earthing problem to me if it was just the computer cases it might be just static however you say everything. Whats your nearest town perhaps someone on the forum can pop round and ensure everything is safe and put your mind at ease.

Chris

If you have no earth to 2nd consumer unit this is most probably the cause as any earth fault current has nowhere to go.

You need to run an earth to cu and all associated circuits and preferably install additional protection by 30mA RCD.

Thanks you Guys. Chris has got me wondering if it is only devices connected to the computer that are a problem. I will have to ask my son, who is the one that gets lit up all the time.

perhaps someone on the forum can pop round and ensure everything is safe and put your mind at ease.
:D I don't think so Chris - I live in Thailand..... but if you're ever passing :cool:

Not had any experience myself of one CU fed off another. Would there not be an earth (as well as the lives) between the CUs? So therefore the second one would effectively be earthed? I know in this case we're talking Thai electrics, but I am asking about in the UK.

Reply to Earth Leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net