Earthing roof beams and roofing sheets on an attached garage. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earthing roof beams and roofing sheets on an attached garage. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My friend has a conundrum regarding earthing the metal parts of his garage. It's an extension to his home which is on a TT supply, It's of concrete block construction with a metal roof, attached to timbers but touching 3 RSJ's which supports the whole roof. None of which is bonded. There are tw/e cables crossing over the beams, so I suggested 10mm equipotential bonding from the beans to the MET. Question is, what needs to be done with the roofing sheets, as bonding could be problematic and cause the roof to corrode? Any ideas would be most welcome.

My friend has a conundrum regarding earthing the metal parts of his garage. It's an extension to his home which is on a TT supply, It's of concrete block construction with a metal roof, attached to timbers but touching 3 RSJ's which supports the whole roof. None of which is bonded. There are tw/e cables crossing over the beams, so I suggested 10mm equipotential bonding from the beans to the MET. Question is, what needs to be done with the roofing sheets, as bonding could be problematic and cause the roof to corrode? Any ideas would be most welcome.

But what potential are these beams introducing?

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining and asking your question! Have you got any photos of the job? It may help our members to give the appropriate advice!

Thanks

Thanks, I did the resistance check to the beams and it was 24K ohms, so in theory isn't extraneous, but I didn't check the roof sheets as they were touching the beams anyway. I'm assuming the equipotential bonding still applies to the the beams regardless as they are structural steels and within touching distance, however, it would appear to introduce an unnecessary risk, so perhaps bonding isn't the answer. It's a shame there's not more clarity in the regs for differing construction methods, and it leaves installers in a damned if you do or damned if you dont scenario.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did the resistance check to the beams and it was 24K ohms, so in theory isn't extraneous, but I didn't check the roof sheets as they were touching the beams anyway. I'm assuming the equipotential bonding still applies to the the beams regardless as they are structural steels and within touching distance, however, it would appear to introduce an unnecessary risk, so perhaps bonding isn't the answer. It's a shame there's not more clarity in the regs for differing construction methods, and it leaves installers in a damned if you do or damned if you dont scenario.

But if they aren't extraneous then why connect them to to the electrical system?

It's a shame there's not more clarity in the regs for differing construction methods, and it leaves installers in a damned if you do or damned if you dont scenario.
it is quite clear in the regs if it’s not extraneous then it doesn’t need bonding.

Not really its clear in black and white. Not knowing the regs isnt the regs books fault.

Reply to Earthing roof beams and roofing sheets on an attached garage. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net