ECS Gold card reverse | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss ECS Gold card reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
Just for a bit of fun let's see who's got the most text printed on the back of their gold card....

Its not 'easy' as you say to get an approved elec card Anthony, your getting your wires crossed a bit I think.
It's quite insulting too as Ive worked hard and am proud to be at the stage I am.....yet I know I don't take home pay what I'm worth.
Yes i agree it's far too easy for Joe bloggs to go to a college or online these days do part p, 18th edition (that is open book) and crack on.....
But JIB still has its grading as defined as it always has done.....
To be approved you need:
NVQ3
2391 or is it 2394 today? Test and inspect which is not open book and with generally a 30% pass rate not exactly handed out easily.
At least 3 years working as electrician.

If approved cards are getting handed out willy nilly as you say......where's your evidence?

Forget about Approved or Technician Status it means little unless your working on the cards for a JIB company and most JIB companies like to pay Electrician Rates not Approved or Technician.

I don't know where you work but I've been in the game 30+ years subby/freelance what ever you want to call it and been on a fair few sites.

Plenty of lads and maybe lasses out there that pass out with-in two years with city and guilds core qualifications, NVQ and AM2 and gain JIB Gold Card and that's enough to earn £200 a day on most sites.

Having Approved Status, Technician Status, Test and Inspection makes very little in monetary terms.

EAL Test and Inspection open book as far as I know likewise the lastest edition of the 2391.

Another route for an Approved Electrician Gold Card is via the NICEIC. Any QS for an approved contractor can gain the card via their company and the NICEIC do not revoke card if you leave the company. Back door route someone with out all the Qualifications anyone else needs to gain a card.

I've been on sites and know of White Carded workers with level 2365 on £230 a day. No Gold Card, just a White Card ECS to gain access to site.

Also your only worth what someone wants to pay you , don't matter what you think.

Don't take anything as an insult, its the way the industry is and a few facts nothing more nothing less.

Never had a gold card, will soon, one day. But have earned £285 per day fairly often enough. As mentioned it’s not about what your card says, more about how good you are...

Having Approved Status, Technician Status, Test and Inspection makes very little in monetary terms.

Also your only worth what someone wants to pay you , don't matter what you think.

Don't take anything as an insult, its the way the industry is and a few facts nothing more nothing less.

Anthony you seem very bitter, the thread wasn't made by myself but I'm proud of what I've done thus far in the industry and I'm not driven soley by money. I want to learn and soak up as much as my brain will allow and that knowledge should count me in good stead, I'm hoping to get 2396 in time which is another feather in my cap.......not to demand more money just to learn and be proud of what I can achieve when I put my mind to it.

Another route for an Approved Electrician Gold Card is via the NICEIC. Any QS for an approved contractor can gain the card via their company and the NICEIC do not revoke card if you leave the company. Back door route someone with out all the Qualifications anyone else needs to gain a card.

Those cards don't have the JIB logo printed on them thou I think, so obviously not a real gold card !
Pre 1998 (or somewhere around that time), only C&G part 1 & 2 was needed for a grading was it not ? without any need for an NVQ3 or AM2. So in that case it would've be easier to get grading ?; then again colleges did practical's and/or work book's so I guess that evened it out.

Not that I agree with colleges dropping practical element, I think its sickening and its not the kids fault is it.

Those cards don't have the JIB logo printed on them thou I think, so obviously not a real gold card !
Pre 1998 (or somewhere around that time), only C&G part 1 & 2 was needed for a grading was it not ? without any need for an NVQ3 or AM2. So in that case it would've be easier to get grading ?; then again colleges did practical's and/or work book's so I guess that evened it out.

Not that I agree with colleges dropping practical element, I think its sickening and its not the kids fault is it.

NICEIC Contractor - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/for-contractors/goldcard

If you leave the company the JIB allow you to keep the card and remove the NIEIC logo

Agreed, it's not about what's on your card but what you can do with your hands / head.

Met plenty of sparks who's CV dosen't match what they can do onsite.

Most notably one compex spark who nearly ruined a 200 meter run of 7 core attempting to fit a compound barrier gland - incorrectly! He lasted about a week!

[ElectriciansForums.net] ECS Gold card reverse

Reply to ECS Gold card reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net