Eic | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Eic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I want to install electric shower. split the tails, x2 100a henleys.then out into an rcd sub board 40a breaker & 10mm t&e to shower pull then shower. How do I test to make it legal ? (Use of sub board cos I have 1 kicking around with mcb . Main fuseboard is square d split load rcd full none rcd quoted 90quid for rcbo ....I believe I need EIC but tbh Im not sure how to go about it and who should be informed ?
Thanks in advance .

Last edited:
I think you will find its a civil case that would have to be brought by either the DNO or electricity supplier. Unless there is evidence of extracting free electric the police aren't hardly going to be interested.

I think you will find its a civil case that would have to be brought by either the DNO or electricity supplier. Unless there is evidence of extracting free electric the police aren't hardly going to be interested.

Which would be a bit of a waste of their time because all you can claim in a civil case is damages, i.e. their costs to put it back how it should be. Court is unlikely to make the offending party pay their legal bill if it's DNO/supplier vs. individual or small trader so they'd be out of pocket.

Nah, those appear to be specifically about stealing electricity.

Some people (IET forums mostly) reference Electricity Act 1989 Schedule 6 para.6 but all that says is
A person who intentionally or by culpable negligence damages or allows to be damaged—
(a)any electric line or electrical plant provided by an electricity distributor; or
(b)any electricity meter provided by an electricity supplier,
shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
I hardly think snipping the seals and pulling the fuse counts as damaging.

So I'm still none the wiser really.

This is it, I think:-

Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 para.25

No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation, a street electrical fixture or to another distributor’s network without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Reply to Eic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net