EICR and 18th | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss EICR and 18th in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Can I do EICR report for domestic properties myself if I got only 18th edition qualification
and Level 3 Diploma Electrical Enginering ? Or I need to do Testing and inspection qualification?

I can't remember the exact requirements for carrying out an EICR but it is something evelike competence, experience, greater than average knowledge and a solid understanding of the regulations.

Qualifications are nice but are no replacement for experience.
The 18th edition qualification is a good indicator of knowledge.
A qualification in electrical engineering is not necessarily relevant to any part of electrical installation work or inspection and testing.

Yes EICR be for landlords
It seems a bit confusing...

I believe davesparks is correct as far as BS7671 is concerned, the relevant reg is:

651.5 The periodic inspection and testing shall be carried out by one or more skilled persons competent in such work.

However, The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 state:

"ensure every electrical installation in the residential premises is inspected and tested at regular intervals by a qualified person",

and defines a qualified person as:

" "qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards; "

Reading the Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector gives us:

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:
  • check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or
  • require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.

It appears the government expects us to be qualified to do periodics, but exactly where we stand legally I am unsure.

Taken from the electrical safety roundtable link on the govt website.

How can I ensure the Electrical Inspector I use to undertake the Electrical Inspection and testing of my electrical installation meets the requirement to be qualified and competent?

Any Electrical Inspector you employ to undertake the electrical inspection and testing within your property must have:
• Adequate insurance. This should include at least £2 million public liability insurance and £250,000 professional indemnity insurance.
• A qualification covering the current version of the wiring regulations (BS 7671).
• A qualification covering the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.
• At least two years’ experience in carrying out periodic inspection and testing.

Using someone listed on this website will ensure they meet the above requirements and are deemed competent by a Government Authorised Competent Person Scheme Operator: www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

Which is all well and good. Except the NICEIC are apparently moving all their approved contractors onto this website. Not all approved contractors have testing and inspection quals.

Reply to EICR and 18th in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net