EICR C2 for lack of isolator switch | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss EICR C2 for lack of isolator switch in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

crr003

DIY
Reaction score
Hello - my sister has had an EICR done for a small flat. There is a C2 for "ensuite no fan isolator" and a C2 for "no isolator for immersion". Just asking if an isolator is a definite requirement for either of these? The immersion is on a radial with its own circuit breaker.

still not a C2 as a C2 is a potentially dangerous situation. the isolator (when fitted) means that maintenance can be done on the fan without losing the bathroom light (assuming that the fan is activated by the light and not independent). us clever sparks, once upon a time, discovered head torches which enable us to see in the dark. end of the day. it's a C3 at worst.

an isolator is a requirement, but that does not necessarily mean it is potentially dangerous if it doesn’t.

The EICR coding is wrong.

lack of bathroom extractor isolator no code or C3 at worste.

lack of isolator for immersion. A bit more concerning but still just a C3, however I’d strongly recommend fitting one.

Not having an isolator on either fan or immersion is not a C1, (immediately dangerous) that's reserved for live wires floating about in fresh air... nor is it as C2 (potentially dangerous) ie, no cpc where there should be... resulting in a dangerous situation if another fault develops.

A C3 is simply "improvement recommended" and would give a satisfactory report.

We all know that even old rewirable fuses in the consumer unit can still still give a satisfactory report, but a list of many, many C3's

Being devils advocate the ruddy isolators are in the fuse board.
As for local isolation well there in the same house aren't they !!
Your pub is half a mile up the road but its still local.
Fair enough closed at the mo but still local.
AS for coding its a code LCS for lack of common sense.

OP, please ignore the above its all tongue in cheek.
Being sensible now the lack of isolation would be a C3 for the immersion, and possibly C3 for the fan but never a 2 for either of those. Wonder if he checked to see if the immersion had a thermal cut out ? ?

Reg :
132.15.202 Every fixed electric motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off, readily
accessible, easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.

though i expect this really meant for larger motors , no way a C2
A regulation more suited to industrial applications me thinks. Have stuck my finger into a 4" fan with no ill effects. Would not do the same with a 12 hp 3ph motor though.

Reply to EICR C2 for lack of isolator switch in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net