EICR no CPC at light | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss EICR no CPC at light in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just want to see what people’s thoughts are on this, doing an EICR today. Testing the lighting circuit, 1 cable at every accessory which means joint box somewhere. Hall light is a pendant wired in 2 core PVC cable, no earth at it. Tested at kitchen light and got a reading, then tested at living room light and although cpcs were connected at light and switch I wasn’t getting a reading. I’ve marked this down as further investigating on the lighting circuit, client not too happy that the floorboards are going to have to come up from upstairs lol! Would you pass the circuit in these circumstances? Feel a bit uneasy about it

it's a C3 if all fittings are plastic. C2 if metal. your approach is correct to investigate and rectify. serves 'em right for gatting a cheap cowboy in the first place.

i would be torn between C3 and C2 even with all plastic fittings. still got metal back boxes on switches with metal faceplate screws. so more inclined to C2.

If there's no cpc present, the wire pre dates the requirement for a cpc to be present, and there's no exposed metalwork present, then C3.
If there's a cpc present, with no continuity to the main earth terminal, then it's C2, even if there is no exposed metalwork present.
Chances are that it's modifications done in the '70s, when twin cable was no longer available, and the cpc was just ignored, but it could just be a break in the wiring somewhere, giving the possibility of a disconnected cpc coming into contact with a live terminal, or a fault to the cpc at one point exporting that fault to any other floating cpcs.

Reply to EICR no CPC at light in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net